Florida Fish & Wildlife Conservation Commission, State Agency: In fact, “The Speer Bullets Reloading Manual No. All have proved the conclusions you came to in this article. 75 yards: 1,334 f.p.s.

A .357 Mag. revolver, which can chamber .38 Spl.

100 yards: 1,105 f.p.s.

I am searching for prior threads here and elsewhere, but since people's 44 mag advice was so good I thought it would be good to start the thread here. The NEI 150 358 wadcutter bullet loaded in .357 Mag. .38 Special will work just fine in a .357 Magnum revolver. It was superbly accurate with 12.4 grains of 296. Beginning in 1950 the .357 Magnum, as well as the rest of the N-Frames were changed from the pre-war long action to the shorter action we know today. A .357 Magnum rifle/carbine shooting full power hunting ammunition should be sufficient up to 100 yards on deer and wild hogs, with proper bullet placement. For more than a year before the release of this gun, Col. Wesson manufactured a few pilot models, building and rebuilding each one, redesigning this and that until he found a suitable combination.

.38 Special +P loads make particularly good practice ammunition and with 125 grain bullets shoot sufficiently flat for small game hunting. It is loaded with factual information of value to beginners as well as advanced reloaders.

It is more than accurate enough for close quarters battle and hunting at reasonable ranges. 50 yards: 1,191 f.p.s. Skeeter Skelton was very fond of the 5" .357 Magnum. To finish the bullets I roll them in a jar with Lee Liquid Alox to lubricate them and put them in the sun to dry. Keith used his .38/44 loads in the new sixgun and reported excellent accuracy.

The .38 Spl. 75 yards: 1,467 f.p.s. bullet clocks out at 1,400 fps when duplicated and fired through my 8-3/8″ Smith today.

Golden Age treasures: A trio of 5" .357s from the 1950s. If you want maximum power, well within safety limits, check out Hodgdon’s H110 powder. For hotter .357 Magnum loads, any of the Hornady 158-grain jacketed bullets (hollow points, flat points, and full metal jacket flat points) work superbly well with 15.7 grains of Winchester’s 296 propellant. / 593 ft. lbs. I’m going to have to look into this powder. / 460 ft. lbs. Connecticut Department of Energy & Environmental Protection, State Agency: Hawaii Department of Land & Natural Resources, State Agency:

Thanks to better bullets, more types of powder available, and stronger, better-built wheelguns, it’s even better than it was 85 years ago.

Wyoming Game & Fish Department, State Agency:

I have been reloading the .357 Magnum since the middle 1960's.

100 yards: 1,274 f.p.s. The 600-yard targets in Ed McGivern’s Fast and Fancy Revolver Shooting were shot using the Keith .38/44 loads in an 8-3/4″ .357 Magnum. The powder-coated bullets look cool (the cartridges kind of look like lipstick). Keith used his .38/44 loads in the new sixgun and reported excellent accuracy.

When we had the opportunity to test the new Color Case Hardened Big Boy in .357 Magnum caliber, we jumped at the chance. You read that right. There might still be a choice between lead bullets and copper-jacketed bullets; I’d get the copper-jacketed variety. In 1935, Col. George Patton purchased his 3-1/2″-barreled .357 in Hawaii. I’m down to one .357 Magnum now and it’s a 200th year stainless steel Blackhawk with a 6 1/2-inch barrel. We’d love to hear from you. This is not the hottest .357 load (it’s a mild-recoiling .357 Magnum load), but it’s hot enough, it’s very accurate, and it’s relatively flat shooting. New Mexico Department of Game & Fish, State Agency: When I was in high school I read of Sasha Siemel, the noted jaguar hunter in South America who also had one of the early short-barreled .357s. Any .357 Magnum revolver can also shoot all .38 Special ammunition. Surprisingly, the 158-grain plated flatpoint bullets I tested didn’t do well with any charge of Unique, and in the past, they have performed very poorly with 296 (the bullets frequently shed their plating in the bore). So much so it is popular with silhouette shooters who reach out to 100 yards, or more, to knock down small steel targets. Then, I would try 358477 with an appropriate load of H110. Texas Parks & Wildlife Department, State Agency: So, with the above as background info, let’s get into the loads. Barrels were pinned into the frame and cylinders had recessed case heads. / 552 ft. lbs.

Oklahoma Department of Wildlife Conservation, State Agency: The load is very consistent, and with the same zero and six o’clock hold I use at 50 feet (seen in the target below), I pretty much hit right on target at 25 yards, 50 yards, and yep, even at 100 yards. w/ 23.5 H-110.

The V8 Ford had arrived and was used to great success by bank robbers of the time. Please leave a comment here on the blog if your experience is different than mine. / 497 ft. lbs. Jim and Mary Clary have co-authored over six hundred published articles (and counting) on shooting and hunting. I have a pair of 5″ 27-5s which are some of the last production model .357 Magnums made and they routinely out-shoot my Pre-27 and early Model 27. It was specifically designed for the .357 and .44 magnum calibers. picks up the pace with heavier bullets at higher velocities.

helps those bent pennies add up, because they cost about half as much as similar-weight jacketed bullets. by John Haviland - That’s the 110-grain Hornady jacketed hollow point and a max Unique load (10.0  grains of Unique, as listed in a Hornady reloading manual from the 1970s). I have a guy who casts 158-grain flatpoint bullets for me and I like those with 7.0 grains of Unique even better than the semi-wadcutter bullets. cartridges from dropping freely into the chambers. I use standard rather than magnum primers. / 1,014 ft. lbs. Nice work on chasing down some reasonably accurate loads with a minimum of fuss.

If you do not have Rob's book, buy it, you will not regret the decision. The 600-yard targets in Ed McGivern’s Fast and Fancy Revolver Shooting were shot using the Keith .38/44 loads in an 8-3/4″ .357 Magnum. .357 Magnum factory ballistics tables call for a muzzle velocity of 1450 fps for the 125 grain JHP with 583 ft. lbs. Varying weights dispensed from the powder measure caused those velocity spreads. The 600-yard targets in Ed McGivern’s Fast and Fancy Revolver Shooting were shot using the Keith .38/44 loads in an 8-3/4″ .357 Magnum. There’s a bunch of similar articles on our Tales of the Gun page. The latter pair could easily have been taken with the .357. The Clarys review the Western Powder Loads For The .357 Henry Big Boy Rifle. Leave us a comment if you feel differently. I’m using a Hornady 158gr FP .bullet , Starline brass and CCI 500 small pistol magnum primers. A handgunner using .38 Specials is set for targets, plinking and small game while .357 Mag.

I liked your article and the results from your comparison tests very much, I would like to duplicate that combination for use in my Henry Big Boy. Dedicated sixgunners, however, had other ideas. The first .357 Magnum loads from Winchester used large primers and clocked over 1,500 fps using the Sharpe bullet that’s based on the Keith bullet.

Loaded with 3.0 grains of Titegroup, a pound of the propellant loads 2,333 rounds. Always start with lower charges and work your way up, looking for any signs of excess pressure, and go no higher if you see signs of excess pressure. A glance at the chronograph display showed those bullets were up to 200 fps slower than others in the string. I tried it again in this test series and the results were similarly impressive. I’d go for the 158 grain, just ’cause I’m a full-figured ammo kind of guy. These plated bullets are offered by Berry and Xtreme. Another FBI agent to receive an early .357 Magnum was Frank Baughman (who developed the Baughman Ramp Front Sight). 4. Is there such a thing as .357 not-magnum? North Dakota Game & Fish Department, State Agency: And, in case you are wondering, we used Rob Behr's new book, “Western Powders Handloading Guide,” for our load data. I use hp-38, titegroup and occasionally trail boss for my .357’s. My old Hornady manual indicates the 110 grain Hornady bullet with 10.0 grains of Unique exits the muzzle at 1450 feet per second. But if you go into a gunstore or a department store that sells ammo or order online and you get .357 Magnum ammo, you should be just fine. If you start reloading, your choices expand again (as described in this blog). I did get one decent showing with a lower-end charge of IMR 4227 propellant, but given the choice, I’d go for a plain cast bullet rather than plated bullets. Georgia Department of Natural Resources, State Agency: My nickel-plated 8-3/8″ Model 27-3 outshoots my Pre-27 with the same barrel length. Some folks swear by these bullets and love them for IDPA and similar competitive pistol events. Originally the company believed all .357 Magnums would have 8-3/4″ barrels as they would only be used for hunting. A few propellants that weighed precisely from a measure include Alliant Unique and Ramshot True Blue, with a spread of 28 fps, and Alliant Power Pistol, with a spread of 23 fps. / 755 ft. lbs. Montana Fish, Wildlife & Parks, State Agency:

Connecticut Department of Energy & Environmental Protection, Kansas Department of Wildlife, Parks & Tourism, Massachusetts Division of Fisheries & Wildlife, Oklahoma Department of Wildlife Conservation, Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources, West Virginia Division of Natural Resources, Virginia Department of Wildlife Resources, South Carolina Department of Natural Resources, Rhode Island Department of Fish & Wildlife, North Carolina Wildlife Resources Commission, New York Department of Environmental Conservation, Mississippi Deptartment of Wildlife, Fisheries & Parks, Minnesota Deptartment of Natural Resources, Michigan Deptartment of Natural Resources, Maine Department of Inland Fisheries & Wildlife, Louisiana Department of Wildlife & Fisheries, Kentucky Department of Fish & Wildlife Resources, Hawaii Department of Land & Natural Resources, Florida Fish & Wildlife Conservation Commission, Alabama Department of Conservation & Natural Resources. Average 25 yard accuracy from the Python and a Taurus are about 1 1/2 inches. Let’s take a look at where the round came from, some early uses, the men who popularized it and some of the best .357 Magnum revolvers past and present. Arkansas Game & Fish Commission, State Agency: Hi. All of the Registered Magnums, Pre-27s, and most of the rest of the Model 27s with their various numbers are exceptional revolvers. 1680 Powder results (17.0 grains) 158 grain Hornady XTP: Smallest group 1/2″; largest group 1-0″; average group size 7/8″. is ready for deer-size game when it’s loaded with cast lead-alloy Lyman 358156 bullets or Hornady 158-grain FP XTP bullets at close to 1,200 fps.