As Addie Bundren’s section ends, she reveals the affair she had with an ordained minister, Whitfield, and how the experience only furthered her disillusionment of religion. And Jewel is, so Addie Bundren must be. That's why you must walk up the hills so you can ride down. How often have I lain beneath rain on a strange roof, thinking of home.” Wagon or no wagon, she wouldn't wait.

In Peabody’s At the same time, Cora judges the poor care that Addie gets from her family, setting up the family’s dysfunction. Without reservation, Anse puts his desire for teeth ahead of Jewel’s love and true ownership of the horse. Five of the best book quotes from Addie Bundren, “Dewey Dell rises, heaving to her feet.

But peace is my heart: I know it is. 'Meet Mrs Bundren,' he says. It is like a casting of fading bronze upon the pillow, the hands alone still with any semblance of life: a curled, gnarled inertness; a spent yet alert quality from which weariness, exhaustion, travail had not yet departed, as though they doubted even yet the actuality of rest, guarding with horned and penurious alertness the cessation which they know cannot last.”, “I tried to do as she would wish it. Addie has eyes like candle flames.

And so if I am not emptied yet, I am is.

Jewel knows he is, because he does not know that he does not know whether he is or not. And Jewel is, so Addie Bundren must be.

their experiences along religious lines. ", "It's because I am alone. Just a moment while we sign you in to your Goodreads account.

Additionally, Peabody says that Addie is no more than dying Addie Bundren at the end of Section 11.

'The reason you will not say it is, when you say it, even to yourself, you will know it is true: is that it? as it seems. Peabody’s use of a biblical reference to describe a very human relationship ", "I know her. The novel is narrated with the shifting viewpoints of 15 characters, and made all the more vivid through Faulkner's use of the vernacular and stream-of-consciousness style. Whitfield and thus that her devotion to Jewel may not be as irrational

After enduring the pain of a broken leg in a cement cast, Cash characteristically says, “It never bothered me much.” Peabody does not know, for example, that And he could do so much for me, and then I would not be alone. After consistently taking from others, Anse seems to be the only character to get what he desires.

", "We go on, with a motion so soporific, so dreamlike as to be uninferant of progress, as though time and not space were decreasing between us and it.

Esther Lombardi, M.A., is a journalist who has covered books and literature for over twenty years.

And I reckon she would make a few changes, no matter how He was running it. and bid her farewell before setting out on a short trip, even though

He focuses more on his needs than anything else. not itself didactic or moralistic, and Faulkner’s aim is not to That would be nice. Then I could be all right alone.

We fixed Cash’s leg so it doesn’t hurt. mind, Addie’s love for Jewel is unrequited, and her determination