That's actually one of the point I'm planning on making on the second part of this breakdown! I remember hearing it for the first time. I really appreciate the feedback and I'm glad you enjoyed this my man, Listen again my man or look up the lyrics, he pretty cleary says Job (which is pronounced like jobe and not job when talking about the name, so that could have led to the confusion), Underrated comment, this is some funny shit, New comments cannot be posted and votes cannot be cast, More posts from the hiphopheads community, Everything hip-hop, R&B and Future Beats! Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window), Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window), Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window), Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window), Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window), Woman Made $1 Million Dollars Exploiting Herself Online.

Job discusses his suffering with his friends Eliphaz, Bildad, and Zophar, and they discuss the reasoning for his suffering as well as humans general lack of wisdom, while Job laments on the fact that he does not deserve to suffer since he has not sinned. Prior to his affliction, Job was a very well respected man whom everyone liked; he was known to help all and people enjoyed his company. With regards to Job, the lip imagery is used to show that Job did not speak, whereas with Ab-Soul, it seems to show the opposite; the damage to his lips led to his nickname of Black Lip Bastard, and likely influenced his music to an extent. Many have seen the song as mirroring the Book of Job simply in the fact that both Soulo and Job suffered needlessly, with Soulo losing his longtime girlfriend Alori Joh and Job losing his family and livelihood; however, the comparisons between the two appear to be much deeper and more complex than that. Why’d you have to take her from me?Guess you needed your angel face for all of heaven to seeYour picture still on my mirror and it’s so scaryI swear I still ain’t looked at your obituarySo now I’m so doped up I think I’m flyingI hope the spliff will never finishI guess the Mayans wasn’t lying2012 my world endedYou used to say that I could see the futureYou was wrong, cause you was in it”.

Not the easiest read but it's beautifully written and I think any fan of hip hop would love it for its lyrical quality. Press question mark to learn the rest of the keyboard shortcuts.

medianet_crid = "375421344"; West coast native Alori Joh (Lorianna Johnson) was an R&B singer that was affiliated with Top Dawg Entertainment.

Also subtle clever lines like, "Now I'm so doped up I think I'm flying, I hope this spliff will never finish / I guess the Mayans weren't lying, 2012 my world ended". The parallel between Ab-Soul's affliction and Job's is a very clear one, with both of them being disfigured due to boils on their body.

It really struck a cord with me and honestly turned me into a sobbing mess the first time I heard it haha, Would you still have faith if I take everything you love?

The fact that both use lip imagery is interesting due to the lips being representative of verbal action. All Rights Reserved. In the song, he says: “Seven whole years, seven whole yearsIt was supposed to end with our grandkidsLuckily for me I’m used to being cut shortBut I’m such a nice guy, why Lord?Why Lori?

Hope you guys enjoy this, and I hope someone out there maybe learned something new today. Come to think of it, I could've got a crazy check, The shrink thought I'd be traumatized, but I'm alright. This affliction is the first parallel we see between The Book of Soul and The Book of Job. Great analysis man. Seven whole years, seven whole years Ab-Soul narrates through the complications of his life; the love life he had with Alori Joh, how her death affected him, and how he does things his own way and won’t be stopped.

Before I get into this, I just want to make it clear that some of the points I will make may seem like a bit of a stretch. In 2012, he released his second album with Aftermath titled, Good Kid, M.A.A.D. In it, Satan tells God that Job is only faithful to God due to his good fortune. Likewise, Job ended up becoming a social outcast due to his disfigurements and the tragedies that befell him; during his suffering, only Eliphaz, Bildad, Zophar, and later Elihu come to him.

In The Book of Soul, Soulo tells the listener that the skin on his lips came off and grew back even darker, as a result of SJS. The latest mixtapes, videos, news, and anything else hip-hop/R&B/Future Beats related from your favorite artists, Press J to jump to the feed. Despite this fact, he was able to persevere and not only recover, but he was mentally okay afterwards; such a traumatizing occurrence would surely have debilitating effects on most people.

Satan has bandits kill and steal Job's livestock, kill most of his servants, and then destroys the house in which his children were, killing them. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. peace Homie.”. The most visible effect of this syndrome is the body being covered in "boils and blisters", which are very painful and can cause serious bodily damage. I still don’t believe it . medianet_versionId = "3111299"; Copyright  © 2011-2020 theafrolounge.com, All rights reserved. All guests/episodes for this week are cancelled. So when I thought about that I hopped back in that booth and I continued going.”.

His podcast show is stopping production for at least a week. I'd love to read what you have to say about Alori. In the Book of Job, it is expressed that he “did not sin with his lips”, implying that Job did not decry God at this point verbally but likely was in his thoughts. The first two lines of the song, Your momma told me read the Book of Job. He said, “It threw me all the way off because you in the vibe, you in good spirits. One of my favorite hip-hop songs of all time and pretty easily one of the most emotive songs I've ever heard. Eventually God appears to Job and, while he does not actually explain any sort of reasoning behind Job's suffering, he expresses that Job will never be able to comprehend why he has made him suffer. Satan and Show Business: What Happened to These Actresses?