Why not see if they can match up the original words to the contraction below? pound(s), bc for before Christ and e.g. Since I'm trying to make this document seem chatty rather than However, in formal writing, we discourage the use of such contractions. In English Grammar, it is a form of punctuation mark that ensures that the readers have clarity in knowing the function of nouns significantly by indicating possession and showing different cases of omission. The bottles’ labels have worn out. Why? In writing, we use an apostrophe to indicate that we have omitted one or more letters; that is, within contracted words, apostrophes replace the eliminated letters. It is important not to confuse apostrophe, the literary device, with the apostrophe punctuation mark (‘). Make sure to show your child the words in their full form and then what we can shorten them to. represent the omission of some material in cases which are not exactly he (Correct – plural version), Children’s teeth can really hurt them when they cut. Here are some examples of how we use them:Jane doesn’t want to do homework. we're and were, she'd and shed, we'll and The apostrophe goes in the exact place the letter is missing. But I advise you not to use the more colloquial Here are some of the commonest examples, with their uncontracted equivalents: it's Yes, it is true that you need to put in extra efforts to understand the rules as well as the exception of the English Grammar. Of Don’t confuse ‘it’s’ (the contraction of ‘it is’ or ‘it has’) with ‘its’ (to show that ‘it’ owns something). if ( notice ) (Incorrect – it should read dogs’ as it’s plural), This is my cousin Algernon’s motorbike. These three phrases are never correct. We need to use an apostrophe to show that we know there is a letter or letters missing in the word. nine (Won’t, for example, is short for will not.). two apostrophes, because material has been omitted from two positions. The apostrophe is a punctuation mark used to show either possession or to show contraction. Get them started on the lesson below and then jump into our teacher-created activities to practice what they've learnt. It is also considered as the grocer’s apostrophe. Building up your child’s knowledge little by little is key to developing their understanding. In standard English, omitted letters: we write can't, not *ca'nt, and aren't, not *are'nt. Apostrophe in literature is an arrangement of words addressing a non-existent person or an abstract idea in such a way as if it were present and capable of understanding feelings. The apostrophe is a punctuation mark used to show either possession or to show contraction. If you’ve gone to the mall, chances are you’ve seen a sign like this: Okay, maybe you haven’t ever seen the last one, at least as a sign, but you’ve seen ’n as a contraction of and. Contractions should be adopted, expanded and understood by all. We use the apostrophe, in contracted form, to mark the plural form of letters of the alphabet, figures, words discussed as words and expressions. It's worth emphasising the point that when talking to the Queen we'd all try to make sure to talk formally using grown-up words, however, when we talk to our friends, we can be a little lazy and shorten some words. Contractions are used every day by those speaking the English language. and a' for all. writing you would normally prefer to write detective and alligator, rather than Here are a few of them, with their longer forms: There are other contractions which are often heard in speech. It's important to point out that in some cases we need to leave out more than one letter, but we still only use one apostrophe. The word Your is a possessive pronoun but You’re is a contracted form of You are. I did not do it! We know what is correct... we just don’t remember why. When you look at the word Whose, it equally symbolises possession while Who’s is the contracted form of Who is. two When we need to use an apostrophe in case of plural terms of a noun then it is one of the common mistakes. The men’s clothes have gotten wet in the rain. course, some of these clipped forms are still rather colloquial, and in formal Wrong: When I heard about the spy ring, I should of told the Central Intelligence Agency. It is not surprising to know that the apostrophe has only two uses; one is to show possession of a thing or places (basically nouns) and other is to indicate the omission of letter or numbers. Help us prevent spam * Geraldine Woods has more than 35 years of teaching experience. Time limit is exhausted. This exercise will give you practice in applying the first principle introduced in Using Apostrophes Correctly: Use an apostrophe to show the omission of letters in a contraction. Third, a year is occasionally written in an abbreviated form with an You must be aware that an apostrophe has 3 basic functions: The First Function – The Use In Possessive Noun – You can add an apostrophe to the singular words as well as plural words. The resulting word is shorter and faster to say, with only one syllable (sound) instead of two. But for Jesus, there is always an exception – there is no need to add ‘s’ as in Jesus’ disciples, Jesus’ name. You can then point out that they'd talk in a different way to their friends than they would if we were talking to the Queen! The beautiful castle is of Queen’s daughter. In standard English, this generally happens only with a small number of conventional items, mostly involving verbs. (Correct – any option would be correct), Your email address will not be published. If the noun you are using is plural and does not end in ‘-s’ then you need to add ‘`s’. well, and perhaps a few others. Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. Welcome here! In English Grammar, it is a form of punctuation mark that ensures that the readers have clarity in knowing the function of nouns significantly by indicating possession and showing different cases of omission. forms of from abbreviations. It is quite common because English grammar tends to be a little tricky. For example, chop wi out of I will, throw in an apostrophe, and you have I’ll.The resulting word is shorter and faster to say, with only one syllable (sound) instead of two. Mighty … Please reload the CAPTCHA. Before we get started it is important that both you and your child understand the terminology that is used when teaching grammar.