The NCAA has ruled Cade Mays can play for Tennessee football in 2020. rivalsdotcom. “I appreciate the @SEC and @NCAA along with @UKAthletics to be cleared for immediate eligibility this year,” he wrote on Twitter. Verified • Follow. We would like to show you a description here but the site won’t allow us. James Kevin Mays and his wife Melinda filed a lawsuit against the school last month seeking damages after James Mays had part of his right pinky finger amputated when it got wedged between a folding chair and a column, UGA Sports reported, citing the lawsuit. “It wasn’t the right environment for me,” Mays said. “They’ve got a deep offensive line. by Joe Kinsey October 1, 2020, 6:43 am. Tennessee is the big winner in this intra-conference transfer sweepstakes. But Mays’ fight for eligibility hasn’t sparked any animosity between Smart and Tennessee head coach Jeremy Pruitt, who Smart coached with at Alabama from 2007-12. Mays is claiming a hardship waiver, given his father lost his pinky finger at a Georgia recruiting event. Mays’ decision to transfer to Tennessee in January — and the subsequent fight for immediate eligibility in Knoxville — has been nothing short of dramatic. “It wasn’t the right environment for me,” Mays said. _g1.classList.remove('lazyload'); On Tuesday, Mays met with the media and was asked about his decision to leave Georgia.

Go Vols!!”. Right tackle Cade Mays and No. That’s all I can say about it. Let’s be real. “Obviously things didn’t work out, so I transferred here and I’m happy with where I’m at now, happy to be part of the family and just taking it every day and just embracing it.”. November 1, 2020, 11:41 pm. or redistributed.

Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, If Tennessee and Georgia didn’t play in the same SEC East and weren’t cross-divisional rivals or something, Mays would probably already be eligible to play for the Vols. Given the increased number of waiver requests this year, and a changing national landscape related to student-athlete transfer issues, it is evident that the current transfer bylaw must undergo a thorough review by Conference membership in the most timely manner possible and prior to the 2021-22 academic year.” Saturday will be the first time offensive lineman Cade Mays suits up for a game in Sanford Stadium wearing a jersey that isn’t red. Gatewood will now find himself in a quarterback battle with Terry Wilson and Beau Allen. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism The pinky lawsuit may be bit of a stretch, but the age of players having to sit out is over. try {

“I thought Cade had done a tremendous job for us,” Smart said. Tennessee football head coach Jeremy Pruitt tells us why Cade Mays shouldn’t have to sit out. “These are unprecedented times in which decisions about eligibility and competitive opportunities demand consideration of the current challenges facing our student-athletes and schools as a result of COVID-19. I did so, and now I’m happy with where I am.”.

After the NCAA initially denied his transfer waiver in August, Mays was deemed eligible to play via an appeal, but then needed an SEC ruling to avoid having to sit out this season as an intraconference transfer, and the league eventually gave a waiver to such transfers, citing the unusual circumstances around this season amid the Covid-19 outbreak. Mutual Fund and ETF data provided by Refinitiv Lipper. Georgia had three players depart via the transfer portal this offseason - offensive lineman Cade Mays went to Tennessee, defensive back Otis Reese went to Ole Miss, and defensive back Divaad Wilson went to UCF. Gatewood will have three years of eligibility at Kentucky, possibly a fourth with the COVID rule that won’t count 2020 against the player. Though Smart said the execution on Saturday was far from perfect, he did say the win has a lot to do with executing better than the opponent. (Photo by Chamberlain Smith/Courtesy UGA Sports Comm).

Sign up today to get a $1000 risk-free bet. It was fun.”. ©2020 FOX News Network, LLC. https://twitter.com/NicoleAuerbach/status/1308798610247688193, Jeremy Pruitt with a long, excellent answer on transfers: "It's not something you wake up one morning and say, hey I'm going to transfer."

“In consideration of current circumstances resulting from disruptions caused by the COVID-19 pandemic, including eligibility relief provided to student-athletes in August by the NCAA, and in anticipation of changes to NCAA transfer legislation, the Southeastern Conference today approved a number of transfer waiver requests that originated from member institutions seeking exceptions to the long-standing Conference bylaw that requires intraconference transfers serve a year in residence before being eligible to compete,” Sankey said in a press release. They’ve got big people.

New College Football Playoff odds like Clemson over Alabama, College Football Playoff: 1 if/then conditional for every national title contender, 5 teams that could sneak into the 2020 College Football Playoff, 10 games that will determine the 2020 College Football Playoff, While Mays won his waiver appeal with the NCAA, Justin Fields reminds Buckeye Nation to get out and vote (Video), Report: Tennessee gives Pruitt 2-year extension, Rondale Moore opts back in at Purdue, wants to be best receiver in America, Joe Milton can be Jim Harbaugh's best quarterback yet at Michigan. accounts, the history behind an article. We talk, to this day, and those relationships never really changed, and just being able to compete against them, it was just like practice. I obviously transferred and now I’m here and I’m happy with where I am.

Your favorite teams, topics, and players all on your favorite mobile devices.

if ( localStorage.getItem(skinItemId ) ) { SEC commissioner Greg Sankey said the COVID era played a big role in his decision. We'll never pass along your email address to spammers, scammers, or the like. © 2005-2020 CBS INTERACTIVE ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. ACT NOW! November 2, 2020, 2:21 pm, by “Definitely after the game there were some funny comments,” Mays said.

Yet when things started going in the wrong direction for him at Georgia, Tennessee made plenty of sense as a transfer destination because it was home and he'd seen how the Vols' new staff had recruited his younger brother, Cooper. Kentucky quarterback Joey Gatewood, who transferred from Auburn, was

_g1 = document.getElementById('g1-logo-inverted-source'); He's 100% right. He was a starter at UGA before this. Powered and implemented by FactSet Digital Solutions. 14 Tennessee. After starting at right tackle in the 35-12 win against Missouri, Mays slid down to right guard for the past two weeks against Georgia and Kentucky, though he also played right tackle in both games and even finished the loss to the Wildcats at left tackle. Georgia’s offense appeared to have taken in a breath of fresh air before it faced Auburn last Saturday. Legal Statement. INDIANAPOLIS RAMPING UP PREP WORK FOR 2022 CHAMPIONSHIP GAME, Mays' pinky allegedly “shot across the floor” and was picked up by a former offensive line coach who “put the severed appendage on ice.”. Get an email notification whenever someone contributes to the discussion. Use the 'Report' link on “It must be stated unequivocally that these approvals are solely a reflection of the unique circumstances present and should not be interpreted as endorsement of the rationale set forth by individuals seeking these waivers. 97,406 views. “It’s not like he’s trying to trick somebody. You guys made your voice heard and sent a powerful message for all to hear.

Alabama Football: Waddle They Do Now At Receiver? View the profiles of people named Cade Mays. “There was just things that were not really, I’m looking for the right word,” he said before pausing briefly to collect his thoughts. “They’re physical on the offensive line,” Smart said. “There was just things that were not really, I’m looking for the right word.......Things that just, it wasn’t really for me.