The Full Moon can produce very vivid dreams – if you get to sleep at all, that is (and often I don’t). The star has a mean apparent magnitude of 11.5. And the constellation Ursa Major (Big Bear) in the night sky can be seen as an astral representation of the goddess Artemis. The constellation is easy to identify under clear, dark skies because it lies next to the semi-circle of stars of Corona Borealis, and its brightest star, Arcturus, can be found by following the arc of the Big Dipper’s handle.

It got its name, Alphekka Meridiana (Alphekka South) after Alphecca, the brightest star in the northern constellation Corona Borealis. The star is believed to have been formed by a supernova explosion of its companion star approximately a million years ago. The story partly inspired German author Mark Brandis’ 1974 novel Raumsonde Epsilon (Spaceprobe Epsilon). This is a professional course. Jan 22, 2012 - This Pin was discovered by Lafcadio. 3.482), Nekkar (Beta Boo, mag. These cookies do not store any personal information. Using my name as a calling card perhaps. Reading this myth I realised just how much I yearn to reclaim for myself a magical connection to the night sky. In the story, Corona Australis represents the crown the god placed in the sky after freeing his mother Semele from the god of the underworld, Hades.

This very detailed false-colour image from ESO’s Very Large Telescope shows the dramatic effects of very young stars on the dust and gas from which they were born in the star-forming region NGC 6729. I sure hope I will live long enough to savor my Crone Years. With a surface temperature of 4,550 K, it shines with 501 solar luminosities.

I read a myth about this the other day: The Micmac Indians of Nova Scotia and the Iroquois Indians along the St. Lawrence seaway share one story about the Big Bear.

http://www.shaman-healer-painter.co.uk/info2.cfm?info_id=214851. Corona Australis is one of the smallest constellations in the sky. As our culture is so youth-obsessed (and to me that really indicates a great fear of death) we have lost the concept of Rites of Passage. The bear is eaten, and the skeleton remains traveling through the sky on its back during winter. So what does that make me? Two robins arrive for breakfast every morning! And maybe I then join the Big Bear in the sky?! This particular myth, however, is also sometimes associated with the Northern Crown, Corona Borealis. Image: NASA/CXC/J.

R Coronae Australis is a Herbig Ae/Be star, which is to say a pre-main sequence star, still in the star formation stage, belonging to the spectral type A or B, less than 10 million years in age, surrounded by a circumstellar disk and embedded in an envelope of gas and dust.

Epsilon Boötis A is a relatively young star, with an estimated age of 37.4 million years, but it has already reached a late stage of its life cycle. Izar is located in the constellation Boötes. The message, he said, had been overlooked by a team of Norwegian and Dutch researchers in the 1920s. The planet was discovered in 2012. Its estimated mass is 4.6 times solar. Corona Australis was first catalogued by the Greek astronomer Ptolemy in the 2nd century, along with the constellation representing the northern crown, Corona Borealis. It is one of the finest double stars to observe in a telescope. We also use third-party cookies that help us analyze and understand how you use this website. So you could say that The Dance of the Bear is the dance of Little Bear and Big Bear in the night sky. RX J1856.5-3754 is a neutron star in the constellation Corona Australis. It is located some 420 light-years from Earth, and stretches about 10 light-years across. So why do robins have a red chest? around The Pole Star (Polaris).

And that older women too would do well to make this offering to Mother Earth too, from time to time. With an apparent magnitude of 2.37, it is the second brightest star in Boötes, after Arcturus. This website uses cookies to personalise content and ads, and to analyse user traffic. This dance comes from the ancient Greek Arkteia (or Brauronia) festival where young girls ‘danced the She Bear’ in honour of Artemis. The molecular cloud complex in the region is one of the nearest areas with recent or ongoing intermediate and low-mass star formation. These are some of the oldest stars in the Universe, over 10 billion years old. The Full Moon can also bring on a very magical state of consciousness where waking reality becomes a living dream. Its name means “the southern crown” in Latin. The two components can only be resolved in 3-inch or larger telescopes.

The nearest star is HD 166348 (spectral class K6Vk), located at a distance of 42.26 light years from Earth. Where Big Bear rears up on her hind legs, embarks on a great journey, walks on all fours, returns and hides in her den for hibernation (and maybe to give birth?!) The first known written mention of its name was found in Homer’s Odyssey, but the constellation itself has been known for much longer.

Starseed Origins and the fox looked golden in the moonlight. To look at the stars and to know why robins have a red breast. At this point, Epsilon Boötis B will be the brighter of the two stars. They did so in sacred space, away from everyday life, with a priestess (and possibly even male priest – pictures of men and women wearing bear masks during these rites appear on vases from that period) holding space for them. It was first discovered by the Italian astronomer Niccolò Cacciatore in March 1826 and then later independently found by James Dunlop in July 1826. It is one of the stars that mark the head of Cetus. Meridiana – α Coronae Australis (Alpha Coronae Australis).