Not a huge IPA guy. Honestly, one of the highlights of getting the job was getting a phone call from him.

Another 6th-round QB sees a good fit, Kevin Gorman: Tom Brady leaving Patriots is stunning, but Steelers should hope it’s for NFC, Kevin Gorman’s Take 5: NFL should’ve pressed pause, Western Pennsylvania's trusted news source. Shelton didn’t recognize the number but answered anyway, leaving the table for the conversation. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article. “I think it’s important to be a part of the community and be in the heart of it,” Shelton said. Derek Shelton, left, and Rocco Baldelli shared a laugh during spring training in Fort Myers in February. Shelton attended Southern Illinois University where he played college baseball for the Salukis. Last year I actually met his brother, Billy, when he did a segment on me for MLB Network. “I’m getting goosebumps talking about it.

“There’s a little Pittsburgh side note,” Shelton said. That was kind of cool.”. You have permission to edit this article. In his sophomore year (1990), the Salukis won 49 games and the Missouri Valley Conference championship, and played in the NCAA Tournament. His favorite number is eight. [6][7], After spending five seasons as the hitting coach for the Cleveland Indians, he accepted a job with the Tampa Bay Rays at the same position after the 2009 season.

“I think he’s going to be a good fit for Pittsburgh, and I thought Clint Hurdle was a hell of a manager.

We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. The second thing is in the winter we live on the beach. TribLIVE's Daily and Weekly email newsletters deliver the news you want and information you need, right to your inbox. • Shelton, as I’d find out, isn’t terribly adventurous when it comes to what he eats or drinks. The Pirates should be so lucky for Shelton to have the success Leyland did, inheriting a 57-win team from Chuck Tanner in 1986 and winning three consecutive division titles from 1990-92 with a team that averaged 96 victories over that span. It was a surreal moment, one of the coolest moments, to get a call from a guy who lives here, is part of the community here and is a Hall of Fame manager.”. On this morning, when Shelton had pretty much no occasion to actually use them, he pulled a pair out of his left pocket simply to prove a point.

“No running,” Shelton said. Winds light and variable. Shelton was a sponge, soaking up whatever Leyland shared.