"He does that which can be done by no one else, have you ever witnessed the difficulty of steering Helios through the Milky Way, considered the heights and depths which he must traverse with a such a team, spirited and fiery as the sun himself? Maiden, when I hear that your mother is Kypris, my only wonder is that her cestus has left you uncharmed. APHRODITE The goddess of love had a brief affair with Dionysos. 407 ff (trans.Boyle) (Roman poetry C1st B.C. In the Theogony of Hesiod (fl. . Quickly he leapt up and dug the earth with his wand at the foundation of a rock: the hill parted, and poured out of itself a purple stream of wine from its sweet-scented bosom.

5 (trans. Oldfather) (Greek historian C1st B.C.) Then Lelantos's daughter sprang up with wandering foot in the wild temper of a shaggycrested lioness, tore one child from the wild beast's jaws and hurled it like a flash into the stormy air: the newborn child fell from the air headlong into the whirling dust upon the ground, and she caught him up and gave him a tomb in her own maw--a family dinner indeed! Why did you also drink wine, Aura, until you were with child? Beauty crafted by Hephaestos for his beloved. Shall I bring you heaps of treasure from Alybe? Then Artemis saw her big with new children, and came near with a laugh on her face and teased the poor creature, saying with pitiless voice : ‘I saw Sleep, the Paphian's chamberlain! . DIONYSOS was the Olympian god of wine, vegetation, pleasure, festivity, madness and frenzy. Eiraphiotes [Dionysos] thought of trick after trick. 240 ff (trans. However, when Hypolipnus saw him, a mere boy in years, excelling all others in remarkable beauty of form, he asked from him the reward that could be given without loss. Accept from me as bridegift my grape-vintage too. When she was gone, Dionysos would bend his knee to the lovely spring, and hollow his palms in mimicry of the beloved girl: then he drank water sweeter than selfpoured nectar .

", Pseudo-Hyginus, Fabulae 129 (trans. . You also suffered what I suffered, you enemy of marriage; then you also have to blame a deceitful sleep sent by the Erotes (Loves), who are friends of marriage. And there came running thirsty at midday Aura herself, seeking if anywhere she could find raindrops from Zeus, or some fountain, or the stream of a river pouring from the hills; and Eros cast a mist over her eyelids: but when she saw the deceitful fountain of Bakkhos, Peitho dispersed the shadowy cloud from her eyelids, and called out to Aura like a herald of her marriage--‘Maiden, come this way! Rouse) (Greek epic C5th A.D.) : Perhaps in time you will help Apollo without meaning to, and you will not be angry any longer, but will find yourself carefree as you should be.". He perceived that the sun's light upon the Earth was diffuse, the winds whispered that they had called forth clouds that obscured the very face of Gaia. POLYMNOS or HYPLIPNOS (Polymnus or Hyplipnus) A man of Argos (southern Greece) who showed Dionysos the way to the underworld. And questioned the maiden about her father Adonis, as a friend of his, as a fellow-hunter among the hills.

. . I love your country more than the sky; I desire not the sceptre of my father Zeus as much as Beroe for my wife. She moved this way and that way with erring motions, her brow shook with throbbing temples, her head leaned and lay on her shoulder, she fell asleep on the ground beside a tallbranching tree and entrusted to the bare earth her maidenhood unguarded. Eros and Agape in Dionysius the Areopagite by J. S. Kupperman. I saw the deceiving stream of the yellow fountain at your loving bridal! NIKAIA (Nicaea) A nymph of Bithynia (Asia Minor) made drunk and raped by the god Dionysos. When he turned to look for Dionysus, cruelty playing on his face, he had gone.

. Rouse) (Greek epic C5th A.D.) : .

He told her his name and family, the slaughter of the Indians, how he found out for man the vine-dance and the sweet juice of wine to drink; then in loving passion he mingled audacity with a boldness far from modesty, and his flattering voice uttered this ingratiating speech : ‘Maiden, for your love I have even renounced my home in heaven. . There has been a discussion, or perhaps debate, over the words “eros” and “agape” amongst Christian theologian for quite some time.A certain amount of this discussion, or debate, focuses on the works of pseudo-Dionysius the Areopagite, and specifically his use of eros instead of agape in The Divine Names. . He had modest number of lovers in myth, the most well known of which were his bride Ariadne, the Kalydonian queen Althaia, and the youth Ampelos. Divine splendor, shot through with undeniable seduction. And Aura, hapless maiden, having within her the fruitful seed of Bakkhos the begetter, carried a double weight [twins]: the wife maddened uncontrollably cursed the burden of the seed, hapless maiden Aura lamented the loss of her maidenhood; she knew not whether she had conceived of herself, or by some man, or a scheming god . . Priapos (trans. . How is it you alone have Eros (Love for a brother, and yet know not the sting of love . Rouse) (Greek epic C5th A.D.) : Take into your lips the stream of this nuptial fountain, and into your bosom a lover.’

And you must be friends after the battle: both be rivals in singlehearted affection, and in one contract of goodwill adorn the city of the bride with still more brilliant beauty.’ . . He had then no hope of the girl's love, no physic for his passion; but Eros burnt him more and more with the mindbewitching fire to win mad obstinate Aura at last.

. When Oeneus realized this, he voluntarily left the city and pretended to be performing sacred rites. 125 ff (trans. . The god grudging at Poseidon ruler of the waves felt fear and jealousy, since the maiden drank water and not wine. But still he praises her newfound form. . If you really have in you the blood of Assyrian Adonis the charming, learn the tender rules of your sire whose blessing is upon marriage, obey the cestus girdle born with the Paphian, save yourself from the dangerous wrath of the bridal Erotes (Loves)! [he praises her by comparing her to various goddesses] . Who made it? .

. Dionysus smiled and reached out to brush into place a lock of Eros' hair. 6. BEROE The goddess-nymph of the city of Beroe in Lebanon (West Asia) was wooed by the gods Dionysos and Poseidon. 5 (trans. With lingering feet he departed, with heavy pace, turning back for a last gloomy look at the girl; jealous, with shamed ears, he heard the bridal songs of Amymone in the sea. Virgin Aura awaits you!’

With these words, he made haste away to Olympos flapping his wings, but first he had inscribed on the spring petals--‘Bridegroom, complete your marriage while the maiden is still asleep; and let us be silent that sleep may not leave the maiden.’