I’ve used just about all the well-known scents that cats hate over the years; pepper, citrus, lavender, mouthwash, vinegar, and more. Let’s break it down for each though. Repeat spraying several times a week or whenever the need arises. If objects or plants could be damaged by applying vinegar full-strength, dilute it … That being said, it still stands that whatever harm could come of using vinegar for cleaning – it may be to your possessions but it will never be to your pet. Imagine your nose was 10x as strong, that’s going to make you think twice about smelling it, isn’t it?! A cat's olfactory system is distributed throughout its entire head, which gives them an amazing ability to smell. Your email address will not be published. If you don't have white vinegar in your home,

Since our cats are so small, the smallest change can really throw off their system and it is always best to talk to your vet about any changes you want to make in their lifestyle and diet. It’s important to make sure your cat is losing weight by being fed proper food and given regular exercise. That’s an excellent solution if you want to stop the cat from peeing in the entire room or if the spot is large enough. Two of the best types of vinegar to use are white vinegar and apple cider vinegar. I could stop here, but there’s even more good news, as vinegar is actually ridiculously good at getting urine smells out of hard surfaces and fabrics, and you know if it can do something as difficult as that it should really help keep pet smells in general at bay. This is especially ideal for fish as vinegar is also fish safe!

Is Breathing Cat Litter Dust Harmful to Humans & Cats? Now this is where things get a little controversial. It is a spray with adjustable spray nozzles and motion detectors. REVIEW: PetSafe Slimcat Interactive Toy and Food Dispenser. I clean with vinegar and water. So, it’s no mystery why cats don’t like the smell of vinegar and why it’s an effective repellent. Cats tend to avoid acidic substances in any case. I’ve used vinegar myself to stop neighbors’ cats from peeing on and around my plants.

White vinegar can be used either full-strength or diluted with water to repel cats. These are my favorite essential oils to use when keeping cats away from peeing in a particular sport: Radha Beaty set of 6 essential oils contains all needed oils for a very reasonable price. Vinegar is one of the best natural solutions to try too. Looking for good news?

I’ve done it a few times, and I also know other people who have had success doing the same. At all. You’re also going to have to put up with the smell of vinegar yourself. That being said, each cat is different and what works for one of my cats may not work for my other cat. While cats are not dogs and cannot smell, track and search things from great distances, cats do have better developed smelling senses than we humans do. If you like the posts on KittyClysm, please take a moment to subscribe to the email newsletter! Before treating your cat internally with natural or holistic methods, it is vital that you first consult your veterinarian for diagnosis/confirmation of a urinary tract infection or other infections. Always use organic apple cider vinegar for your cat in order so that s/he can reap all the healthful benefits. This is great news for pet parents worldwide, since it means that your cats will usually have an easy transition from regular cleaning products to baking soda and vinegar.

Is Dish Soap/Detergent Safe? cat’s litter box to help reduce bad smells, toys like these that allow cats to play by themselves, After 5 Years with Us, Avery Got His First Cat Tree: The Story of His Love Affair, “I Hate Cats!” Why Some People Are Not At All Fans of Felines, Feline Digestive Issues? The only problem with applying natural oils – if you or some of your family members are too sensitive to any smells, especially if you don’t like the scents, it will not work for you. That being said, I am well aware of the benefits natural holistic food has in comparison to premium or grocery store cat food, but I’ll always be the first to say it is not for every cat. It has a strong smell and having your house smell like that is not something you would want, You want your Cat to stop getting into certain areas because your little furball might be peeing there or doing his poop. See, I feel like yours is the perfect attitude to have: careful of the risks, knowledgeable of what the biggest risk is (ingestion), but also awareness of the potential for vinegar to be an amazing remedy. A highly concentrated combination of vinegar and water – 1 part vinegar to 5 parts water – is effective enough to discourage dogs. While it’s not effective at killing the bugs, apple cider vinegar can cause fleas to jump from your cat’s body so that you can better tackle the issue, making it a … For pet owners, I honestly can’t even think of one.

Happy to provide it! We also tried putting a diluted drop or two of vinegar in his water bowl but Yoda is very picky about having fresh, crystalline drinking water so he wouldn’t dare go near it. Me personally, I would not want my house smelling like Vinegar, It just makes more sense to put a stop to this behavior rather than a temporary solution, If your Cat is going to certain areas and peeing there then what you need to do is clean that area properly, You should use a product that has enzyme cleaners in them, That will remove the smell of Cat urine completely which reduces the chances of your Cat coming back to that very same spot, If you want to know which product to buy then you can check out my recommendation that I have written by clicking the link below, What is the best enzyme cleaner for Cat urine, There are 3 main smells that will repel your Cat, So if you don’t want your Cat coming into your closet or into a room then you can use these smells to stop them. You have to be careful when using it as it can damage plants, materials, and other items. Essential oils work perfectly for all of these scents.

In general, white vinegar is going to be the vinegar you choose to clean with. Despite this cat being a pain in the arse I do not want to make it seriously sick either. Even if you clean the house with vinegar, it will be safe for your cat and other pets, as most holistic or natural housecleaning products are — just be sure to always read the directions and warning labels! These are the 3 most common smells that a Cat hates, If you want your Cat to stop getting into certain areas then I think the best thing to do is try and block it off, Vinegar has a strong smell and that is not something you want your house smelling like, It’s best to figure out why your Cat may be peeing or pooping in other places other than the litter box, Or if you want a temporary solution then you can use the 3 smells I have mentioned. You’re in the right place! My advice: absolutely do not try taking matters into your own hands by medicating your cat with vinegar without informing and getting approval from your vet first. At some point, your young feline will find …, Are you planning to get a new kitty to join your older feline? I would always make sure to look up whatever surface you’re about to clean with vinegar to make sure that you don’t damage your couch, carpet, countertop, table or floors. Before beginning, make sure to properly dilute the vinegar to have a proportionate and safe solution! Will it cause any harm to my cat. Read more about our story on our about us page. But if you want to spray the cats themselves – have a separate spray bottle that’s just water and only spray them with water. Last update on 2020-11-04 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API. Articles are often passed around the net claiming that apple cider vinegar provides healthy nutrients that are beneficial for a cat’s overall health and well being. Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. You can apply them in different ways to stop cat from peeing in an exact spot. I’d tried orange peels first, but this didn’t stop the neighbor’s Tom. Although not always immediate, some cleaners can cause your animals to get sick over time, symptoms including vomiting, diarrhea, and sometimes even organ failure. Hadn’t heard that before about inhaling baking soda! Their sensitive noses do not like the strong acidic smell of vinegar. Some cats are too stubborn, determined, or just aren’t affected in the same way by scents and will ignore them. You can either use them full-strength or diluted. The worry of feeding too much apple cider vinegar is raising your cat’s stomach acidity. By, How to use mouthwash to stop cats peeing on furniture, How to use orange peels to stop cats peeing on your plants. Fond of my fluffies? Other articles claim that vinegar is an excellent remedy for quite a few feline ailments: ear infections, UTIs, hot spots. You can keep cats away by spraying vinegar using a trigger-spray bottle on garden accessories, on tree bases, on plants, on your garden border, on posts and on your fence.

We have personally used this method on Yoda while we lived in Nepal.

Is that safe? If this is the case, I’ve given you some better-smelling alternatives above. FINAL THOUGHTS. Had to throw the olives away as they were full of fur. I am from Milwaukee WI. writes music directly aimed to help keep cats chilled out and stress free. Thanks to it’s ability to prevent bacteria from developing, apple cider vinegar is helpful in treating urinary tract infections, bladder blockages, ear infections, or other ailments. It is quite harmless and keeps the cat away from the specific areas you spray the product. From my understanding, there are really only two ways you might think to use vinegar in a way that would directly or indirectly impact your pet cat: Let me know if there’s another way you thought to use vinegar that I’ve left out/forgotten! Yes, if your cat has kidney disease it’s an absolute must that you stay away from apple cider vinegar. Notify me of follow-up comments by email. You’ve probably heard it said that cats hate the smell of vinegar, amongst other scents. Need to repel them from your flower beds and other areas?

It’s worked well for me a couple of times. So, what have pet parents been choosing to use instead? Pour white vinegar onto a rats nest, leave it to soak in.

Shouldn’t have to go into the office to get an answer to a question so straightforward.