Witcher Wiki is a FANDOM Games Community.

"[During the Indian War of Dionysos :] And now the swarthy Indians would have leapt from their hidden ambush and attacked the army of Bakkhos (Bacchus) at their meal; but a Hamadryas Nymphe (Hamadryad Nymph) peering over a high branch sprang up, leafy to the hips [i.e. xv.

", Oppian, Cynegetica 4. KRANEIA (Crania) A Hamadryad nymph of the cherry tree. NOMIA An Oreiad of Mount Nomia in Arkadia. vii. Jones) (Greek travelogue C2nd A.D.) : Pausanias, Description of Greece 10.

"As they go [felling the trees] the woodland groans in sympathy, nor can the Nymphae (Nymphs) loose the trees from their embrace. Skin Color

", Ovid, Metamorphoses 14.

[2.1] HERMES & THE OREIADES (Homeric Hymn V To Aphrodite 256) Jones) (Greek geographer C1st B.C. 148 ff :

many a Hamadryas (Hamadryad) of Athos kindled a Thrakian torch for the bridal in fiery Lemnos close by. .

356 ff : They were usually connected with river-side trees and sacred groves. .

Hymn.

"She [Aphrodite] loved a shepherd [Anchises] and amid his flocks gave herself, a goddess, to him; their armour was witnessed by the band of sister Hamadryades as well as the Sileni and the father of the company himself [Silenos], with whom were Naiads gathering apples in the vales of Ida. Please note that this site uses cookies to personalise content and adverts, to provide social media features, and to analyse web traffic.

"Further, one might also find . All the woodlands rang thereat: the trees found skill to make music like the hoboy, the Hadryades (Hamadryads) cried aloud, the Nymphai sang, peeping up halfseen over her leafy cluster. ", Seneca, Phaedra 782 ff (trans.

", Nonnus, Dionysiaca 14.

500 ff (trans. 259 ff (trans. i. § 2; Apollon. : Apollonius Rhodius, Argonautica 1.

the Kouretes (Curetes), Satyroi (Satyrs) and Oreiades (Oreads)] . "In all the towns of Lydia Arachne's work had won a memorable name, although her home was humble and Hypaepae where she lived was humble too. Do not fell the afflicted bush of unhappy Daphne!

For in her heart she loved not woods nor rivers, but a plot of ground and boughs of smiling apples all around. The whole forest trembled, the oaktrees [Hamadryades] uttered voices and the hills danced, the Naiades sang alleluia. .

"Pomona lived in good King Proca's [of Latium] reign and none of all the Hamadryadae Latinae (Latin Hamadryads) was cleverer than she in garden lore nor keener in the care of orchard trees. Evelyn-White) (Greek epic C7th or 6th B.C.)

They are designated by the names Alsêïdes, Holêôroi, Aulôniades, and Napaiai. The power to use the abilities of dryads. 1224 ff : Callimachus, Hymn 4 to Delos 75ff (trans.

259, &c.). Melville) (Roman epic C1st B.C. ", Nonnus, Dionysiaca 37.

Day-Lewis) (Roman epic C1st B.C.)

Gullick) (Greek rhetorician C2nd to 3rd A.D.) : Oppian, Cynegetica 1. While originally such fate was rather rare, wars with humans forced dryads to be less benign.

i. 19 (trans. Rouse) (Greek epic C5th A.D.) .

and the lean slenderness of the Boukolai (Pastoral Nymphai) [i.e.

BALANIS A Hamadryad of the acorn tree, or ilex. : Homeric Hymn 5 to Aphrodite 256 ff (trans. .

Dryope, Sophocles OT 1108.

Nymph She was the wife of Pelasgos the very first king of Arkadia. Groups of Bassarides in this Erythraian wilderness suckled cubs of a mountain lioness, and the juicy milk flowed of itself out of their breasts.

I am a Hamadryas of the beautiful leaves, in the place where the enemy warriors lie in ambush.

Jones) (Greek geographer C1st B.C.

. Goold) (Roman elegy C1st B.C.) Packs of bears joined the dance, skipping and wheeling face to face; lions with a roar from emulous throats mimicked the triumphant cry of the priests of the Kabeiroi (Cabeiri), sane in their madnes. "[Atalanta addresses her son Parthenopaios :] ‘Thou a boy scarce ripe for the embarces of Dryades or the passions of Erymanthian Nymphae.’", Statius, Thebaid 5. Being dryads, they have a love for the trees, forest, and music and have learned to master abilities to shape trees to their will while not harming the tree itself. [and] Napaea (Nymphs of the Glade).

she first appeared as a woman growing out of her tree]. : Δρυάς) is a tree nymph or tree spirit in Greek mythology.

[1][2] At some occasions however they may appear entirely green. N.B. .

3. The first class embraces those who must be regarded as a kind of inferior divinities, recognised in the worship of nature. : Hesiod, The Precepts of Chiron Fragment 3 (trans. "The Nymphae who were wont to strew him [the guardian Drakon (Dragon) of the Nemean groves] with vernal flowers, and Nemea's fields whereon he crawled; ye too, ye woodland Fauni [Satyroi (Satyrs)], bewailing him in every grove with broken reeds. . I am not from Phrygia, your country, I do not dwell in the Lydian land by that river rolling in riches. SYKE (Syce) A Hamadryad nymph of the fig tree. Mozley) (Roman epic C1st A.D.) : Seneca, Phaedra 782 ff (trans.

Evelyn-White) (Greek epic C8th or 7th B.C.) Homer, Iliad 20.

142 ff :

4. ", Ovid, Fasti 2. Naiades] and the grassy meadows (pisea poiêenta), who came not. "Callisto once belonged to the sacred circle of Hamadryades and huntress Diana [Artemis] . Dryads are exclusively female and use males of other humanoid races only for mating purposes, taking strong ones to pass their traits onto their children.

Where to find Dryad. Hair Color Their attitude towards dwarves was more hostile – mutually. 11 (trans.

Yes, I beseech thee, let me be one of the Heliades beside the stream of mourning Eridanos: often will I drop amber from my eyelids; I will spread my leaves to entwine with the dirge-loving clusters of my neighbouring poplar, bewailing my maidenhood with abundant tears--for Phaethon will not be my lament.

188 ff :

Locations Other Names However, the elder the abducted girl, the more likely for her to have glimpses of past life and not to match skills of the pure dryads.

She traversed the firmament to south, to morth, to west, to the turning-place of dawn, gathering the divine battalions for Lyaios: one all-comprehending summons was sounded for Trees and for Rivers, one call for Neiades (Naiads) and Hadryades (Hamadryads), the troops of the forest.

1066 ff (trans. . "On the green grass he [the handsome youth Narkissos (Narcissus)] drooped his weary head, and those bright eyes that loved their master's beauty closed in death . Mair) (Greek poet C3rd A.D.) :

174 ff : Ekho (Echo), the Nymphe of Kithairon (Cithaeron), returns thy words, which resound beneath the dark vaults of the thick foliage and in the midst of the rocks of the forest; the ivy enlaces thy brow with its tendrils charged with flowers. 155 ff (trans.Boyle) (Roman poetry C1st B.C. . "But of them [the daughters of Hekateros (Hecaterus)] were born the divine mountain Nymphai (Nymphs) (theai nymphai oureiai) and the tribe (genos) of worthless, helpless Satyroi (Satyrs). : 32. Oreads], often leave Pactolus' stream [Naiades], delighted both to see the cloth she wove and watch her working too; such grace she had . Pallas [Athena] [came to challenge Arachne] and threw aside the old crone's guise and stood revealed.

Classification https://witcher.fandom.com/wiki/Dryad?oldid=533539, According to the novels the only distinction between born and transformed dryads is the sweat.

", Nonnus, Dionysiaca 32.

Sophocles Philoctetes 715 (Meliades).

1066, 1227; Orph.

", Nonnus, Dionysiaca 22. "The Hadryades Nymphai (Hamadryad Nymphs) lamented the lost shade of their yearsmate trees [destroyed in the rampages of the monster Typhoeus]. The dryads were some of the most famous nymphs of Greek mythology. . Theoi Project © Copyright 2000 - 2017 Aaron J. Atsma, Netherlands & New Zealand.

While the tree flourished, so did its resident nymph, but when it died she passed away. Drys signifies "oak" in Greek, and dryads are specifically the nymphs of oak trees, but the term has come to … The dryad name generator generates 21 random fantasy dryad names each time you may use it in many places. Other references to Dryades, Adryades & Hamadryades not currently quoted here: Stephanus Byzantium s.v.

She fled his advances and was transformed into a pine-tree. Syrinx the Nymphae (Nymphs) called her. The other seeing her so down-cast, answered thus : ‘I feel the fear inborn in a maiden, because I was born of a laurel, and I am pursued like Daphne. ", Nonnus, Dionysiaca 48.

Dryads do not eat dinner and the sentinels at the border rarely eat breakfast as well.[10]. 310 ff : She nursed the infant god Pan. Rieu) (Greek epic C3rd B.C.)

The early Greeks saw in all the phenomena of ordinary nature some manifestation of the deity; springs, rivers, grottoes, trees, and mountains, all seemed to them fraught with life; and all were only the visible embodiments of so many divine agents. When the Dryades [the story usually features Naiades not Dryades], fired by his beauty, abandoned in wonder their accustomed dance and on his slipping pulled him nimbly through the yielding water. "Beside a fragrant myrtle he [Dionysos] stayed his feet for a soothing rest at midday.

to C1st A.D.) : ", Apollonius Rhodius, Argonautica 1. Having spoken she hid again in her tree her agemate, and entered again her woody home. 123 ff : HELIADES (Heliads) Daughters of the sun-god Helios, the Heliades were transformed into amber-teared poplar trees. PITYS An Oreiad nymph loved by Pan. 61 ff : .

The Greek word melas--from which their name derives--means both apple and sheep. The salutary and beneficent powers of nature were thus personified, and regarded as so many divinities; and the sensations produced on man in the contemplation of nature, such as awe, terror, joy, delight, were ascribed to the agency of the various divinities of nature.