Not surprisingly, the Honda Ruckus comes in the same colors: black or red and white. Thank you for visiting www.powersports.honda.com. OK so it isn’t a grocery getter, but still probably a lot of fun for point-A to point-B action.”, “I like this zombie-apocolypse style and the Honda Ruckus has plenty of fans with rider clubs to attest to its popularity. For that no-nonsense, bare-bones style, let’s go head-to-head with the PMZ50-19, the Mad Dog at the head of their Mad Dog series over at Ice Bear. Storage, you ask?

It has that same post-apocalyptic style that would appeal to a buyer looking at the Honda Ruckus. Some states offer a special restrictive license that allows riding a scooter but not a motorcycle. All Rights Reserved, � Copyright TopSpeed. . A tough, tubular frame surrounds it, as well as our Honda V-Matic ® automatic transmission. — and gnarly, the Ruckus looks like it’s right out of One thing I definitely like on the Mad Dog is the hydraulic front brakes versus the all-around drums on its counterpart.

Drum brakes on both ends of the Ruckus tend to the braking action. Make sure your tires are aired up properly, replace the sparkplug, make sure the belt isn’t worn. The company doesn’t give specifics in terms of what parts you get or how much power you gain, but you shouldn’t expect huge gains. . No doubt, the tires on the Honda Ruckus look rather chubby on their 10-inch rims, but the Mad Dog rolls on a 120/70-12 up front, with a surprisingly wide and flat, 205/30-12 in back. Theruckshop.com, for instance, offers a Stage 1 and Stage 2 upgrade kit that varies in price between $169 and $626. First, start with the basics. My husband and fellow writer, TJ Hinton, says, “The Ruckus is a tough-looking little scooter, with its naked panache and on-off tires, and looks like it could be a blast on a trail or sand beach. The low-fuel light comes on with about a 0.3-gallon reserve. To find out the laws in your specific state, check out this breakdown of scooter state laws. In addition to the push-button starter,

Other states, classify even the smallest scooters as “motor-driven cycles” which means you might need a motorcycle endorsement. Honda goes with liquid cooling while Ice Bear opted for a simpler, air-cooled lump, not surprising considering the unimpeded airflow through the completely naked pipe frame. There’s a marked difference in seat height as well. While not all 50 cc scooters are sissified, a lot of them are. All Rights Reserved, Introducing the $1000 TopSpeed Student Scholarship, Honda gave the PCX 150 a fresh new update, Honda introduces the world’s first hybrid scooter, Liquid-cooled single-cylinder four-stroke engine. C’mon. The Monkey ABS model gives you an Anti-Lock-Braking System designed to help with controlled stops in less-than-ideal conditions. While it’s true that most scooters qualify as basic transportation at best, the solo seat and lack of cargo/grocery space makes the Honda Ruckus very basic transportation indeed. Read our full review of the SSR Motorsports Rowdy.

Not only that, but the underframe system on the Ruckus allows for a full step-through, a feature many scooter riders prefer.

So, with a full tank and maximum fuel economy, you could travel 148 miles on a single fill-up. Image Source: honda com, ssrmotorsports.com, honda.co.jp, icebearatv.com, Javascript must be enabled for the correct page display. I say “not surprisingly” because it is a basic, no-nonsense scooter so why tamper with the skin, yeah? Looking for a better everyday way to get around town? Transferable one-year, unlimited-mileage limited warranty; extended coverage available with a Honda Protection Plan. At 28.9-inches tall, the Honda Ruckus falls within the norm for the genre, but the Mad Dog drops the seat down to a mere 23.6 inches off the ground. To secure your helmet, the Ruckus has a locking helmet holder under the seat so you don’t have to carry your helmet when you walk away from your Honda Ruckus. With a 50 cc engine, you’re not going to carry a lot of cargo, but it’s awesome to zip around town and maybe to and from the campus.”.

If that gets your head nodding, then the 2020 Honda Ruckus is the ride for you. That’s right folks, this is a one-butt bike unless the rider and passenger are both very small, and are very good friends.

Engines are comparable at 49 cc, and 49.5 cc for the Honda Ruckus and Mad Dog, respectively. The Honda Ruckus with a liquid-cooled, four-cycle thumper engine.

Outside of that, there are aftermarket companies that offer some upgrades. One very obvious design feature involves the tires, namely, they are quite fat. 124.9cc air-cooled single-cylinder four-stroke. You should be able to hit 40 mph as a 180-pound rider, so if you can’t hit that, you definitely need to do some maintenance. I prefer this method because not only are there no body panels to crunch up and have to replace, but you can also visually check the frame to get some idea as to whether you tweaked it or not in a little fenderbender. Anthony Godinho from Ontario, Canada on March 06, 2012: This is the first time, I'm hearing about the Ruckus. The 2021 Honda Monkey just might be your machine. Considering how basic the Honda Ruckus is, weight reduction isn’t exactly an option, but there are a few things you can do to make your Ruckus faster.

However, while the Honda Ruckus presents a typical, scooter-like profile with its vestigial leg fairing and step-through deck for the rider’s feet, the Mad Dog strikes a different tone with rider footpegs outboard of the frame and a pipe luggage rack in the step-through. Considering looks alone for a head-to-head competitor, I’d have to go with the Rowdy from SSR Motorsports. The best practice would be to stick at 120 miles between fill-ups. Thanks for your detailed review! Though they run on 10-inch diameter rims front and rear, the tires come with 120/90 and 130/90 aspect ratios, respectively. Nobody can match Honda’s reputation for engines, and even though the Monkey may be compact, this single-overhead-cam design is a giant in terms of performance and reliability. Liquid-cooled single-cylinder four-stroke. However, once you’ve burned through a gallon of fuel, the low-fuel light will come on and you’ll have around 34 miles left before the engine shuts down. Interestingly, the Honda Grom shares an ancestry with the Honda Monkey lineup – a series of small-displacement, and curiously sized, Z-series motorcycles from the 1960s and 1970s. Looks like you got a great deal on yours.

I would, but sometimes I’m in the minority. The Honda Ruckus is a cool little bike that looks like it means business. That’s almost big enough for a small car, so it has a large contact patch but I doubt the flat tread will help the Mad Dog in the corners very much. Keep in mind, though, that this is a 49 cc engine. With the Ruckus, you get a basic instrument cluster: an analog speedometer, odometer, and indicator lights for high beams, coolant temp and low fuel. Having shared her love of motorcycles with her now husband, biker TJ Hinton, Allyn brings that love and knowledge to TopSpeed as writer and associate motorcycle editor. Granted, you won’t get going very fast on a Ruckus, so on-lookers will get a good, long look. American Honda Motor Co. Inc. is not responsible for the content presented by any independent website, including advertising claims, special offers, illustrations, names or endorsements.