In minor injuries with little bleeding, there may be abdominal pain, tenderness in the epigastrium and pain in the left flank. For example Mr. Snell's doctors said they gave him three blood transfusions despite the operation. In cases where the diagnosis is not immediately clear, doctors may put a needle into the abdominal cavity to detect a pool of blood. WebMD does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Diercks DB, et al. Splenic injury. In: Hematology: Basic Principles and Practice. These include infectious diseases, medical procedures such as colonoscopy, haematological diseases, medications, and pregnancy. You're likely to stay in the hospital while doctors observe your condition and provide nonsurgical care, such as blood transfusions, if necessary. I'm a hypochondriac so I'm freaking out because I MAY have mono. A single copy of these materials may be reprinted for noncommercial personal use only. Dragomir M, et al. But it is the knowledge about the potentially lethal dangers from a ruptured spleen that leads surgeons to consider an occasional unnecessary exploratory abdominal operation a small price to pay for the protection insured by splenectomy. Tests and procedures used to diagnose a ruptured spleen include: Treatment for a ruptured spleen will depend on the severity of your condition. It’s also worrisome when it’s accompanied by any of the other symptoms on this list. Your doctor might recommend ways to reduce the risk of infection, such as vaccinations against pneumonia and influenza. In larger injuries with more extensive bleeding, signs of hypovolemic shock are most prominent. What can I expect after treatment for a ruptured spleen? But Mr. Snell is just one of thousands of Americans each year who have the operation—called a splenectomy—to remove a ruptured spleen. A ruptured spleen can potentially be life-threatening if it is not treated quickly. This is one of the primary examples of why it’s so important to seek medical help following a car accident, even if individuals don’t see any noticeable injuries. Patients should take note of this, and call their doctor right away. Please help : Mayo Clinic does not endorse companies or products. How common are infections from H. pylori? A ruptured spleen is a medical emergency that occurs as a result of a break in your spleen's surface. Whatever the cause, unless the doctor suspects the condition and then acts quickly, a ruptured spleen can kill swiftly by causing massive internal bleeding. You might have periodic follow-up CT scans to check whether your spleen has healed or to determine whether you need surgery. Surgery to repair or remove the spleen. See A diagnostic peritoneal lavage, while not ideal, may be used to evaluate the presence of internal bleeding a person who is hemodynamically unstable. This is a fast and inexpensive test to check if blood is pooling in your belly. Symptons caused by a ruptured spleen vary with the severity of the rupture. When the tear is less severe, the patient may become weak and experience pain across the abdomen or in the upper left portion. Sometimes an imaging test like computed tomography (CT) scan is used.