A: Well, that depends on the scanner you have. I obtained an amateur radio license to put a scanner in my car more than 10 yrs ago, I liked amateur so much I never put a scanner in my car but put a 2 meter radio in instead. Tag                              The classification (Service Type) for that talkgroup. The device operates using either AC power, or batteries, to monitor scanner frequencies. GPS Serial Port:  Unique to Uniden scanners, the DB-9 Serial port (male) is used mostly to connect a GPS receiver to allow location based scanning. In my neighborhood I hear construction crews, hunters, the local school and the golf course maintainers on FRS channels. They often do not work on aircraft, either civilian or military. Q: Are you guys the same guys at RadioReference?

FRS is actually pretty interesting to listen to in many cases. We found that they had just switched to a new P25 digital system. I can easily create Broadcastify feeds with any set of TGs you want (within the ToS) from the Minneapolis N-S towers and publish those. To read the RadioReference database and understand how it works you need to understand how it works. Most scanner radios allow you to manually program talk groups and frequencies so you are able to hear communications for the agencies you want to monitor. Railroad frequencies have remained the same for decades. There are 2 reasons why we don’t sell scanners that work on encrypted channels. This is a portion of the Site List for the huge Illinois StarCom21 system that has many sites all over the state.

Discriminator audio is used to provide an unfiltered audio source mostly for data decoding. A lot of the FRS channels are shared with GMRS, so listening to one set of frequencies you may hear both services.

Is it the scanner itself or did your local agencies move to new channels? Digital scanners provide the most flexibility, especially if you like traveling or have a job where you are on the road most of the time and want to enjoy listening to your scanner.

What is encrypted varies from state to state (and often county to county) all over the US. When you plug in a speaker into the external speaker jack the inside speaker is disconnected. Further, you might be limited to only running one application at a time, so, if you want to listen to multiple channels, you have to open and close each application to switch frequencies. Below are any Minnesota State Patrol trunking frequencies and their corresponding talkgroups (decimals). Program local police frequencies into your scanner and detect police activity anywhere.

With a radio scanner, you do not have to worry about these issues.

There is also a State and county 911 & fire feed included. Listen to Minneapolis Police - Precincts 1-5 live and more than 50000 online radio stations for free on mytuner-radio.com. These types of scanners allow you to listen to communications by police, fire, aviation, marine, railroad, amateur radio, racing, and FRS/GMRS transmissions. The golf course guys use FRS when performing maintenance or to corral loose duffers. Some states do allow people to use portable radio scanners in their vehicles and other locations whenever they are not at home or work. Discriminator Jack:  This is probably the most popular jack that doesn’t come on scanners. If all this fails and you cannot find the target anywhere by searches with the scanner there are still a couple more tricks. South Alert (SPFD Dispatch) and

External Speaker:  These are used to plug in an external speaker and are different than headphone jacks.

Each county (and to a lesser extent, municipality) makes its own laws regarding the deployment of encryption. Do not confuse this with the female DB-9 port used for programming on older scanners like the BC780XLT or the BC898T. If you try each of the 7 channels (listed below) and nothing is heard then there may well be something wrong with the radio. This is a huge listing of frequencies used thruout the USA and Canada for all types of two-way radio operations. Our basic scanners start out at under $100 and have way more features than these junk toys. They could purchase their own personal radio scanner or use an online police scanner radio. While often they might not be technically savvy they might know that “we switched to the County system” or something. Below is an example of basic law enforcement encryption illustrated on RadioReference. Police Radio to go Silent as Toronto Cops Move Toward Encrypted Communications, Strong Opinions on Whether Police Calls Should Be Encrypted, © Zip Scanners *Free shipping > $99, lower 48, 1st Amendment (key phrase: “petition the Government for a redress of grievances”), To allow citizens & off-duty public safety personnel to respond to emergencies, Backup & neighboring police officers receive delayed information, Inhibits the media’s ability to accurately report news in real time & inform citizens, Open communication with a three-minute delay would suffice, Police utilize cell phones for conversations they don’t want to put over the radios.