Today we can all listen and learn from these stories of survivors: young Aboriginal children, their families, love, hope and resilience.

It unsettled me.". (supplied by Matt Gallois), Joyce Williams shares her personal history of Wellington. Permalink: https://merrillfindlay.com/?page_id=1645. The tree line at the back of the house marks the Lachlan River. Virtual Exhibition: images from the Wenz Collection, Forbes Library, Geography of the Senses @ Derbyshire EcoCentre, Storying sustainability: the transformative power of narrative, Beyond Australia’s Great Divides: From Terra Incognita to Cognita, Romancing the grindstone on Gunningbland Creek, The transformative power of a rural arts festival: a case study, Kalari-Lachlan River Arts Festival: concept plan, Festival conveners, partners and sponsors, ‘Ministers’ appointed to Festival ‘Cabinet’, Themes linking Kate Kelly’s time with our own, In memory of Catherine Foster nee Kelly, 1863-1898, RAHS condemns Quong Lee demolition decision, Fifty-five minutes late: short story by Paul Wenz, Frank Moorhouse to open Wenz exhibition in Forbes, 2006, Climate change/culture change: a meditation, Ecologically Sustainable Development: the last ten years, Over sexed, over paid and over here: American sailors in Perth, The timeless bond between birds and people, Unearthing a city’s past: the archaeology of Little Lonsdale Street, How long must I wait?

Photo by Paul Wenz. The Lachlan River at Nanima when it was still more or less a wild river, before the era of  large-scale irrigation and the construction of Wyangla Dam upstream from Cowra. Some of his best mates are Aboriginal. Nanima Station, a large irrigration ... (An Aboriginal Reserve of the same name was established near Wellington in 1910 and is now owned and administered by a local community organisation.) ParentsNext helps parents of young children to prepare to return to work or training once their youngest child goes to school. The originals were bequeathed to the Mitchell Library, State Library of NSW, by Paul Wenz’s widow, Hettie Wenz nee Dunne. Notice the stacks of split timber, presumably cut from the property to fire the brick kiln. It is a glimpse into the lives of Aboriginal children who were taken from their families and into government agencies and church missions, forced to live lives of displacement and ultimately suffering the loss of identity.

For most of her life, the town has been home to Joyce, born on Nanima Mission in 1926. Joyce Williams - known by all as "Aunty Joyce"- is the most senior Wiradjuri woman from the Wellington Valley. Beata Chatfield, SURVIVORS exhibition by Asher Millgate. For more information about the exhibition, visit www.survivors.net.au. Asher is a non-Indigenous man who grew up in Wellington. ", Neville Brown, for Asher Millgate's SURVIVORS exhibition. You have corrected this article This article has been corrected by You and other Voluntroves This article has been corrected by Voluntroves $ Close Captcha . (Asher Millgate), At university, I couldn’t believe some of the things I heard people say, how ignorant they were,". "The Wellington Project is two years of research and consultation with the local Wiradjuri community to write their histories into the official history of Wellington," explains creator, Matt Gallois. Wellington would also serve as home to the next generation of Williams', Joyce's children - a girl and two boys, all born in Wellington. November 20, 2015 is Universal Children’s Day and marks 25 years since the adoption of the UN Convention on the Rights of the Child. "When I lived on Nanima, we lived in old tin huts there.

At university, I couldn’t believe some of the things I heard people say, how ignorant they were," Asher Millgate said. But many people have still not heard the unique and individual stories of these children so grievously affected by previous Government policies which forcibly removed Indigenous children from their families.

You can also listen to audio files of the individuals featured at survivors.net.au/topics/women & survivors.net.au/topics/men. Nanima Station homestead.

", "I thought about these things for years.". GALLERY: All the red carpet looks from the 2018 National NAIDOC Awards, "I saw an old man, Mother. But it wasn’t until he went to Sydney that he began to understand the widespread ignorance of non-Indigenous Australia towards the nation's First Peoples. Jerry, SURVIVORS exhibition by Asher Millgate. Here you will find detailed information about Nanima Public School: address, phone, fax, opening hours, customer reviews, photos, directions and more. These photographs document life on a pastoral station in Wiradjuri Country in the late 1890s. View the latest listings and find your ideal property on Allhomes.com.au Exhibition tells stories of SURVIVORS - elders and elders-in-waiting at Nanima mission, the longest operating Aboriginal mission in central New South Wales. If you look closely you’ll see a bicycle leaning against the front fence. Lynette Riley nee Elmes, SURVIVORS exhibition by Asher Millgate. When he told a story he traced the fold in a tablecloth with his forefinger just like you. Another view of Nanima homestead, c. 1898. A catalyst for healing; a reminder of who we are; of who we were, so we can see more completely where we want to be.". Browse properties and real estate for sale in Nanima (NSW 2618). I reckon a stolen culture is a better word ...'. He approached each storyteller with care and instilled trust to let their stories flow and flourish. "I don’t believe the words 'a stolen generation'. Survivors… records stories from Wellington’s Elders – about life at Nanima, the Common and on the outskirts of town. Photo by Paul Wenz.

At the age of 14 he was taken by local authorities from a café in Dubbo for wagging school. It means children are recognised as right holders - something that these children were not protected by, yet they somehow survived. Photograph by Paul Wenz c. 1898. Nanima Station, a large irrigration and grazing property on the Lachlan River near the historic village of Gooloogong, was acquired by Paul Wenz in the 1890s. Artist/curator Asher Milgate returns to the town he grew up in, Wellington, NSW, to document the life of the Binjang clan of the Wiradjuri nation.