"[14] Also, in the Kitaakita District, they are called mōsuke (猛助), and they are feared as yōkai even more than foxes (kitsune).

Thoughts????

[9], In the collection of depictions, the Gazu Hyakki Yagyō by Sekien Toriyama, they were depicted under the title 鼬, but they were read not as "itachi", but rather as "ten",[10] and "ten" were considered to be weasels that have reached one hundred years of age and became yōkai that possessed supernatural powers. Of the 17 extant species currently classified in the genus Mustela, 10 have "weasel" in their common names. Here’s the big surprise, well, for me anyway.

Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures.

i lost many chickens to these back on the farm as a kid, and they were always head eaters. i suspect a raccoon would try to drag it somewhere. [5] In neighboring Macedonia, however, weasels are generally seen as an omen of good fortune. [7] According to Daniel Defoe also, meeting a weasel is a bad omen. Despite my pictures, I do concede that some of your opossums can look cute at times. According to the encyclopedia Wakan Sansai Zue from the Edo period, a pack of weasels would cause conflagrations, and the cry of a weasel was considered a harbinger of misfortune.

FAQs and Comment Policy.

i lost many chickens to these back on the farm as a kid, and they were always head eaters.

Fortunately for us here in Australia, we don’t have rabies, but we do have a similar thing, Australian bat lyssavirus infection, which as the name suggests, comes from bats. Keeping ducks and chickens in same run but offer different coops? my bet is possum but i am a little surprised by the day time activity. i am certain it is not a weasel or mink.

Sam wondered if Australian possums do the same? He is very reclusive.

So…just curious?

The Huntsman Spider: Is His Bite Dangerous to Humans? my bet is possum but i am a little surprised by the day time activity.

JavaScript is disabled. Both are marsupials, but that’s about it.

Among those that do not are the stoat, the polecats, the ferret, and the European mink. Opossums, I’ve only ever seen him once and you can read about that experience in the same blog post that has the pictures of the American opossums.

Check the beaks on your chickens, for signs of blood. Bobinoz® is a trademark of Web Products Pty Ltd. Snake Bite First Aid in Australia: What You Need to Know in an Emergency, Is Australia Finished?

Like your opossums, ours can also be very friendly and a few people here have commented how they can sometimes get on with domestic cats as well.