Jordan and Banville then set about making a two-hour pilot, which Jordan told The Guardian was much darker: "It's [now] being described as Dynasty sur mer. And it hasn’t been praised in the way one might expect of a Neil Jordan series. Blank-faced and monotonal, she was presumably intended to be enigmatic, but instead sucked the life off the screen. “They were changed, to my huge surprise and considerable upset.

FACEBOOK Juliet Stevenson (matriarch with  a dark secret) and Poppy Delevingne (honeymooner with a dark secret) had joined the ensemble cast, channelling Kathy Bates from Misery and Gwyneth Paltrow from The Talented Mr Ripley respectively. Find out more, The Telegraph values your comments but kindly requests all posts are on topic, constructive and respectful. “It’s a tremendous relief to know you’ll be in control of every aspect, and you’ll be proud to have your name attached to it,” Jordan said. Of course, The Night Manager had Hugh Laurie and Tom Hiddleston. I objected in the strongest terms possible.". Having seen three episodes of Riviera, lured in by the fact it was created by Neil Jordan (The Crying Game, The Borgias), who co-wrote the first … You need to be a subscriber to join the conversation. “Sky Atlantic got involved because of these scripts.

Indeed, amid all the pampered beauties and stubbly playboys, it was hard to find anybody to like, let alone root for. Plenty of good actors are wasted throughout the 10-part series. Except the way that it proceeded turned into a hit in Europe, so don't expect any apologies from McGuinness. Is this the same John Banville who won the Booker prize?’ The two episodes we wrote together were reworked by others, after I pulled out,” the director told the Business Post. Not only is the expository writing that Jordan alluded to heavy-handed, the less on-the-nose parts of the dialogue never seem to connect to any emotional aspect when two characters are talking.

He’s looking forward to starting work on the project. The series, available on Sky Atlantic and Now TV, has set a record for new box set downloads. Sun-drenched melodrama Riviera (Sky Atlantic) was making its “highly anticipated return”, so trumpeted the publicity material, splashed everywhere from the London Underground to British Airways lounges. When he told Sky Atlantic about his concerns, there was an attempt to address them, but Jordan took “a back seat” from then on. I couldn’t be more proud of what we have achieved.”. Last modified on Tue 19 Dec 2017 20.54 GMT. Everyone wore all-white outfits to show off their teak tans and because when you’re this minted, who cares about coffee stains?

Meanwhile, Stiles made for a curiously unengaging protagonist. | Cookie Settings. We rely on advertising to help fund our award-winning journalism. The debut series in 2017 was chic but charmless. The trouble with Riviera begins after you stop fantasizing about wanting to visit there and be on a yacht while doing it. This wasn’t so much a compelling drama  as a glossy lifestyle catalogue.

Riviera Season 2 Episode List, Summaries and Show Guide. Strictly Come Dancing 2020: how will this year's Covid-compliant show work? Season 2 Episode Summaries. But the reviews have been damning, frequently singling out Jordan and Banville for particular condemnation. “It is awful,” said Sam Wollaston, television critic for the Guardian. EMAIL ME That helps a lot. “All I can say is, good luck to them,” Jordan said from Spain, where he is working on a new film. Well, it wasn’t highly anticipated by me. Sitemap | Riviera has pretensions to be a televisual Bond film, down to its torch-song theme tune, grandiose title sequence, glamorous locations and bikini-clad femme fatales. Premieres: Thursday (Sundance Now). “It’s being described as Dynasty sur mer,” he added. Jordan's story of having his work, uh, worked over, certainly hints at too many cooks in the kitchen, and that's evident in all the weird tone shifts throughout. Judging by the opening double-bill, the answer was  a resounding “non”. But then the producers decided to go in a different direction.”. Stiles plays an art buyer named Georgina who previously worked for a billionaire named Constantine Clios (LaPaglia) and then married him, leaving his ex-wife Irina (Lena Olin) to plot her revenge (which seems easy to do in Riviera because she's not only around a lot but pops up conveniently when necessary). Georgina (Julia Stiles) has abandoned the cursed Riviera and started her life over, only to be thrown headlong into a dark and dangerous conspiracy.

His response was that even that scoundrel wouldn’t have written some of that dialogue.”, Jordan has no idea who rewrote the episodes. Neil co-wrote the first two episodes with John Banville. Riviera is billed by Sky as “an intoxicating thriller set in the sun-drenched south of France, the opulent playground of the world’s filthy rich”, and its publicity promises “morally ambiguous characters” and “audacious excess”, helping it to become the biggest drama premiere on the channel this year. Riviera, a big-budget drama series that stars Julia Stiles and has set viewing records for Sky Atlantic this month, has Jordan’s name emblazoned all over the credits, but the Irish film-maker behind hits such as Interview with the Vampire and The Crying Game now says the glossy finished product has almost nothing to do with him. Riviera Season 2. Since then, Sky’s drama output has been on the up – see recent gems Chernobyl, Save Me and Patrick Melrose – so perhaps Riviera had raised its game too? Jordan is listed as the show’s creator and co-writer alongside the Irish novelist John Banville, with executive producer credits going to the former U2 manager Paul McGuinness who initially had the idea for a glitzy drama set on the Côte d’Azur. Julia Stiles plays the wife of a billionaire killed in an explosion in the series. “Critics have said, ‘Is this the same Neil Jordan that wrote The Crying Game? Read our community guidelines in full, The latest offers and discount codes from popular brands on Telegraph Voucher Codes, Julia Stiles returned for a second run of Sky's glamorous series Riviera, Some went so far as to describe it as “Dynasty sur mer”, The Great British Bake Off: Eighties Week, recap: a scorching tent led to an unexpected departure, What if Mick and Keith ran a shop? I objected in the strongest terms possible.”, According to Jordan, the project has moved closer to the slick glamour associated with a 1980s soap and away from his plan for a darker drama, exploring how the art market can be used to manipulate high finance. Tim Goodman

In Riviera Stiles plays the second wife of a billionaire banker who dies in a yacht explosion.