When the rules require three gears (two forward and one reverse) you can take advantage of eliminating any extra gears. Proper chassis set up requires that the weight balance is set correctly for the car, driver and track conditions. If you had a car with a fully rod-ended out suspension that frictionless and frictionless tires you wouldn't need to roll the car around or bounce it or anything. If you shocks are working normally they are not worth worrying about. The biggest reason that racers cheat, though, is that winning feels good, and it’s easy to get addicted to that feeling. - Check stagger at each tire, even if using radials.

People will come back and watch race after race to see their hero win. Using dead struts and lots of bearings will help. I have now added the ratios so I can visually see what's happening. Filed Under: dirt racing technology Tagged With: left side weight, rear weight percentage, stock car weight balance, It’s been a while since I’ve written anything on the blog, so I thought I’d talk a little about sticktion and give my view on something I think far too many racers overlook. Again, our driver wins and the rules are rewritten to say that the converter will be mounted in the drivetrain in its OEM location. A good practice is to coat the tire on one day, let it sit overnight and coat the tire again the next day. Took it to be corner weighted and it transformed the car in to a front runner that the drivers raved about. On my ZX2SR my cross weight was consistently in the 49% range. 9.

Scaling your race car is arguably one the most important practices that you can do to increase your chance of visiting victory lane. This photo of the 1964 wreck at Riverside that claimed the life of the two time and defending NASCAR Series Champion is a clear evidence that safety rules supersede the competitive edge.

My big stumbling block on this subject is how to get accurate readings by removing all the friction/bind from the tires, sway bars, bushings, etc. Doing this in the pits by turning on the spring adjuster nuts is one way to do this, but then the car might not have enough wedge to get off the corner. A jumbo ziploc bag prevents lube from escaping when not in use. These cheats are mainly used in classes where spec tires or DOT-legal tires are the only authorized rubber. Presto! Using a big engine. I had the same question. Can be used on the rear of open wheel modified and street stocks racing on pavement to reduce rear brake bias. Subscribe now. It has to, it's just the laws of physics. Yes. Yeah, I'm a little puzzled by my result when I let me car down on my new scales as well. This will not change the left-side or rear weight percentages.

That way, if the tech inspectors jack up the car and step on the brakes, there is enough pressure to hold the tire from turning, but not enough pressure to cause a serious nose dive when you jam on the pedal. The easiest rule to break is the rule that isn’t there or is not complete. While several different setup parameters could have caused this situation, a likely cause is excessive cross-weight. - Set tire pressures first. Same goes for for swaybar endlinks. The following day you can coat the tire again and let it dry overnight. If you’re in the gray area, keep fighting the good fight. Even straight-line racers use engine setback for chassis setup. It probably could get figured out by taking into account all the effects, but the easiest and best way is to test it in actual situations on the track, and keep good notes. Smells bad and does not mix with gasoline.

Camber helps your tires to make side bite. The bottom line is still the same; changing brake bias without a brake bias control. For more information on Davis Technologies traction control, check out their “How Does It Work page. 2. Many successful race teams use corner weighting to achieve the same F/R % on both sides equal, not cross weight. The car can also be loose if the right rear tire is not loaded enough. Oxygenated fuel burns hotter and more completely than regular fuel. So, probably the best way to do this is to take the wedge out of the car dynamically. Using a big gas tank. In the most blatant case of the fox guarding the henhouse, NASCAR hired Gary Neslon in 1992 to enforce the rules. Some builders will move the engine forward and toward the left wheel and balance it out with weights added to the rear of the chassis. Viola!

“I think that’s our job, to find those areas of interpretation, the gray areas, and do just that. Nobody was better reading the rules, and between the lines, than Smokey Yunick. Can do to just left sides or right sides, or to all 4. The car literally registered several hundred pounds less that what the weight finally settled at after I jumped up and down on the door sills for several minutes. Moving up a size from the stock rim might be the answer, and your track tech won’t know all the different stock rim options for every different car in the class. These particular cheats are used mainly in the factory stock type classes. That’s where the tech inspectors check for brake pads. Can be used on the right front of open wheel modifieds and street stocks on dirt surfaces to reduce right front braking bias to aid in corner entry. Thanks. - Always record the cross-weights and ride heights for reference at the race track in case changes are needed. Struts and trailing arms generally aren’t great in this case as they have a lot of inherent bind.

On a road course, the cross-weight percentage should be very close to 50 percent, within a half-degree either way, to keep the handling balance similar in a right-hand turn compared to a left-hand turn. Officially, Evernham was one caught and fined once as Jeff Gordon’s crew chief. And what do you mean by "lots of bearings"? googletag.defineSlot('/3756454/GRM_Home_banner', [728, 90], 'div-gpt-ad-1493922548383-0').addService(googletag.pubads()); Human nature. It’s been reported, and we cannot confirm or deny, that the home brew of diesel fuel and paint thinner (1:1 ratio) has been used with great success. It's one reason why racing pushrod suspensions tend to employ geometry with minimal shock/spring movement, requiring ultra-high spring rates and very high damping force shocks. The angles are another way to set the suspension for the desired ride height and cross-weight percentage. At a local track the tire rule reads, “a maximum tread width of 8 inches”. Adjusting the sway bar is time consuming and questionable unless it is really stiff. We try to get away with whatever we can get away with without being caught. On the fourth day the tire is ready to be mounted on the car. It would just automatically settle. One by one, the cars started showing up with 235 X 15 tires. There are too  many effects going on here to just mathematically figure out that you need to put this spring in to take out this much wedge to get the car to turn. In this case the right front spring rate could be increased to keep wedge in the car and tighten the car on exit. While the ideal amount of camber will vary between front suspension layouts, most dirt suspensions need at least 3 degrees positive camber in the left front and at least 3 1/2 to 4 1/2 degrees negative camber in the right front. There are other effects to this than merely the mathematical dropping of spring rate to allow this to happen. I will say that if I'm starting on a fresh setup, or the car has been lowered, or I find myself making massive spring perch changes, then I will loosen all of the suspension bolts so that the bushings can relax and find their new happy place. The Pros know and live the basics to keep them fast as our sport evolves.

TCI manufactures a number of really fine torque converters for circle track use. On oval track cars, cross-weight is usually used in conjunction with stagger (where the right rear tire is larger in circumference than the left rear tire) to balance handling. I put the car on grease tiles so the tires move freely on the scales and then I bounce each end a couple times. Tire size can make all the difference in the world, and while it’s easy to catch it’s worth the effort. Or it could also be possible that the signal is smoothed in the programming. Working with weight and weight transfer. 4. It can be useful in any class but the IMCA modifieds have become sensitive to traction control issues. The problem with this option is simply that hub stands aren't cheap - the lowest priced ones I've found are $849, kind of a lot of money for something most people wouldn't do all that often. If you are getting beat on the track, it has to be because everyone else is cheating because it can’t be that they are better drivers, right? Were these rules in response to losing great champions that were fan favorites? I dropped my integra off at edge to have this done today. You can support the tire on jackstands and paint the tire’s tread like you would paint a wall. If the tech officials check the carburetor’s throat size on every car in the class, you can be sure that they will check yours too. Funny. Make sure that the track officials get the feeling that you are still a good guy. The rules just say ‘no bias controller’ and ‘must have OEM type calipers and pads on all four wheels.’, 7. I weigh 220. Many tracks and series have rules that state that an engine can’t be moved back in the chassis, but nothing is written about moving the engine forward in the car. We know from first hand experience that the ignition module cover can be removed from a stock unit and used to replace the cover on the Pertronix Flame thrower ignition module. - If you raise the ride height at a given corner (put a turn in or add a round of wedge), the weight on that corner will increase, as will the weight on the diagonally opposite corner. There are tire softeners on the market that the manufacturers claim cannot be detected but change the hardness of the tire for more traction. If the rules clearly say not to do something, then don’t do it.

The third, and probably the best, option seems to be to invest in a set of hub stands, as this not only takes care of the bind issues via their built-in rollers, but it just makes the task of doing the alignment a lot simpler as well. Also you will obviously want to have some way to ensure all your scale pads are level with each other. When to cheat again. So when inspectors attached that little pump that measured cubic inches by air pressure, that slot lets off air, just enough to make the engine look legal.