I wanted to get a general weight on this subject as You’re also measuring price tags, and that’s not a good way nor a generally accurate way to judge products in any given listening room at someone’s home. Description

Maybe everything else is lacking 10%, I have to explore some more to know for sure. But people who love the sound and are on a budget do it. with the yggy gs, you'll get the a1 boards, the usb gen 5, and upgraded firmware (a1 yggys could not get this unless they sent their unit in for an upgrade). My Yggdrasil based audio system is able to portrait what I would call accurate/realistic(3D like) sound-stage with all the depth, width and even height auditory cues that must be inherent from the source recording(i.e. Which of the Chord DACs to you use? I am certainly not a Chord fanboy and I never liked their DACs (including the Hugo) as I found that they tend to sound off in terms of tonality and had a bit of a mechanical sound. Both are extraordinarily expensive. Are all of those forum members who own this very popular DAC getting poor value?

Often there is a region around midscale where the performance can be significantly degraded because of cycling patterns forming either in the delta-sigma modulator or in the DEM system. vs the Aune x7s (MSRP 300 USD) didn't have nearly the same amount of change as any headphone I'd tested for the day compared to another headphone. You might also consider the Schiit Ragnarok. The reason why chip manufacturers like to add an aggressive lowpass filter at the input to their DACs is simple: the analog output measures better. The Mrses also appreciates that. But yes, setting up the Mojo as a desktop DAC is not very convenient. I am not doing so, not am I directing “ire” at any individuals. Empire Outlets is New York City’s premier outdoor shopping and dining center. You are making this personal. Thanks for the response, don’t know if we can compare sound based purely on the measurements... Yggy doesn’t measure particularly well if I remember correctly. Simply taking his comments as gospel with little-to-no comprehension about what he's saying and the implications his statements carry (which is the majority approach, it seems - most people are not engineers or mathematicians). Whatever music is stored in files, streams or CD will be extracted at the highest possible quality and then sent to your preamp or integrated amp. In this case you're more likely to get better results out of a new headphone if you have pretty much any desktop DAC. The answer is always "WE'RE SPECIAL AND UNIQUE AND FEATURES: 512DSD WITH ANTIBIOTIC RESISTANT BOUTIQUE STAFF INFECTION!" This DAC beats both easily: https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/gala-ultra-high-performance-stereo-dac/, New comments cannot be posted and votes cannot be cast, More posts from the HeadphoneAdvice community. Will feed a Deckard amp via analogue input, upgrade will be a Schiit Audio Mjolnir or similar paired with Audeze LCD-X. Followers 0. I think the most important thing is good sound, but I also think there should be a certain humility in designing a $2500 DAC - at the very least it should measure well. I'm not disappointed at all. I have a Yggy and a Chord 2 Qute and like them both a lot . Feel free to give credence to Amir's measurements. Why on earth should great gear, DACs or otherwise, at budget pricing be expected to knock off the far less compromised, pricey gear? ... Yggdrasil - that 2nd chair, 2nd row, 2nd violinist has let loose with a Db when clearly the piece being played is in the key of G. ... Yeah, as an owner of the Chord DAVE I would like to see the prices go down, too. Probably would have to go to headfi or a bigger website. Is it a Gen5USB? And I think many people would call me crazy. Ignore this topic ... Chord DAVE and Chord Mojo. Ignore this topic ... Chord DAVE and Chord Mojo. Digital: DACs, USB converters, decrapifiers. You mean like your opinions on non-Chord approaches to digital audio (R2R and D/S, and nevermind that Chord's FPGA is a variation on the Delta-Sigma theme), or your opinions on non-Chord folks' intentions (or lack thereof) to reproduce the recorded waveforms with utmost fidelity? But people who love the sound and are on a budget do it. If you liked the Yggdrasil, you'll love the Analog 2. A healthy approach to understanding measurements, After being asked for the 308th time, Merv lists top 5 headphones, $1000 to the first to design a headamp using discrete components with better measurements than Magni 3+, http://schiit.com/news/news/schiit-introduces-yggdrasil-dac, http://www.head-fi.org/t/766517/chord-electronics-dave/3045#post_12596126, http://www.eetimes.com/document.asp?doc_id=1204407, (You must log in or sign up to reply here.). I own the Chord DAVE, the MSB Analog (without Quad USB) and the Schiit Yggdrasil. Digital Source: Synology DS415+ > Blue Jean Cable Cat6a, > Sonore microRendu with hard USB adapter & Ecco Audio Custom LPS, Banned Troll a.k.a.

I too prefer classical music, although we do listen to a few other things occasionally, such as vocals and jazz. Schiit Audio's Yggdrasil Analog 2 made music that did not feel reformed or reconstituted. Schiit Audio, Headphone amps and DACs made in USA.

Discussion in 'Digital: DACs, USB converters, decrapifiers' started by mtoc, Jun 9, 2016. I would get the Unison USB board for your current Yggy when it is out this coming January before making any expensive decisions. I'd wager that it's easier to design a DAC which measures well than it is to design one that delivers a sound which the human brain best relates to. I care about whether it sounds *good*! It is no secret that I am enchanted with the Schiit Multibit solutions to source components.

I promise.—Herb Reichert However, I have heard many on multiple forums who also listen to classical music and they feel that R2R DACs present musical instruments more naturally. The fact is that your fave, Andreas Koch, is just the person you implied he is - … Schiit makes a helluva product, but they really haven't implemented anything, FPGA is the newest audio biz meme for people to regurgitate. It could potentially work double duty for both speakers and headphones. Looks like GS - YGGDRASIL "GARAGE SALE" SEMI-USED EDITION. I do not think someone with his intelligence needs to make a living out of writing reviews on the internet.

Whereas for me, I almost exclusively listen to classical music.

Sadly auditioning the Yggy is near impossible for me as I don't think anyone in NZ stocks either units, and certainly not in Christchurch. listen to it. My personal preference is the Benchmark DAC3 HGC, because of its equally stellar headphone amp. What kind? the a1 boards were very good, the a2 supposedly sound a bit better. Source is Tidal via USB for the most part.

Our exchanges and discussions in audio started when I found out that both of us became interested in the EC Studio for the same reasons: Romaz and I do share similar music preferences and desires in audio, namely a realistic and lifelike reproduction of live and classical music. Unfortunately, even though I prefer classical, other acoustical music, the Yggy is beyond my budget. - jimmypowder and johndean.

Roon (convolution filter using Acourate) > ultraRendu > Peachtree X1 (Toslink) > Chord Hugo M-Scaler > Chord DAVE > Chord Etude > Dynaudio Confidence C1 Signature + Sunfire TS-EQ10 subwoofers. I have a Yggdrasil with analog 2 and had a Chord Hugo before that. This is just personal opinion of course but I felt it was cold and analytic, definitely not as musical as the Yggdrasil. Torq has good ears and he uses Chord Dave at home and Yggdrasil at his office. It's easy. I wouldn't bother replacing the speakers and 801 given the majority of listening is through headphones. The DS version not so much . Prefer the X over the 2 & 3, haven't tried the 4. Schiit Multibits vs Chord Mojo. It's ok to upgrade the digital front end if the amplification, speakers, and perhaps even power conditioning are good to go. I have a Yggdrasil with analog 2 and had a Chord Hugo before that. Compared to the original Yggdrasil, the Analog 2's sound was quieter, more refined, more transparent, more silky, more tactile. Bummer. My only caveat is that the two R2R DACs I've listened to in my life are the MSB Diamond DAC IV and the MSB Analog DAC. But yes, setting up the Mojo as a desktop DAC is not very convenient. What's the pitch here? It's your choice but he is the outlier.

Not exactly, but I preferred (and bought) Gumby over Chord Hugo after a shootout between them in my own system. By Edincleve, August 22, 2016 in DAC - Digital to Analog Conversion. frequency response graphs, CSD waterfall plots, subjective gear reviews. Audio quality is stellar and competes with the very, very best available anywhere today. Schiit Multibits vs Chord Mojo Sign in to follow this . Maybe look at the higher end Topping or SMSL offering since you are not in the USA. if the recording don't have height detail, it won't be present). Happy with the purchase and paired with microRendu & NAS many have raved about the sound quality, and more than one has ordered a Gumby.

I'd get it. Given that these things sound good (really "acceptable") due to the power, filtering, and analog stage voicing it makes you wonder how much better they would be if they just put all the effort around a better performing, and cheaper mass produced DAC chip as it's not like these are the fucking TotalDAC. Here you can ask which headphone is better, which amp you should buy, which gear best fit your budget and anything related to headphone comparisons and purchasing. you'll also have the option to upgrade to the unison usb boards when they are available. The Modi 3 measures better than the Yggdrasil if that means anything to you. I think R2R DACs generally sound quite different than Chord DACs so for most people, it comes down to personal preferences. Especially when gear starts going north of $1,000. I guess if I upgrade my DAC, I'll have to endure my System of Shame until I upgrade the amp and speakers.