Laine had otherwise been in good health in recent years, and his last public performance was at the age of 92, singing the first big hit of his career, "That's My Desire," on a public television special, Marino said. In 1946 Laine's version of That's My Desire rose to No 1 in the American charts, winning him his first gold disc. When Miller left Mercury for Columbia in 1950 he took Laine with him, and during the 1950s and early 1960s his tally of hits lengthened with such favourites as High Noon ("Do not forsake me, oh my darlin"), Jealousy (Jalousie), The Girl in the Woods, When You're in Love, Way Down Yonder in New Orleans (with Jo Stafford), Your Cheatin' Heart, Hey Joe!, A Woman in Love, and Moonlight Gambler. That discovery led to a steady job at Billy Berg's jazz club in Hollywood and a recording contract with Mercury Records. 1 hits followed the next year, "That Lucky Old Sun" and "Mule Train," and after a third chart-topper in 1950, "The Cry of the Wild Goose," Laine signed with Columbia Records. She died in 1993, and in 1999 he married Marcia Kline. The songwriter was so impressed he suggested Berg give Laine a contract. Three decades later, a collection of his greatest hits, "The World of Frankie Laine, topped the British charts. In 1953 he set two British chart records: when I Believe remained at No 1 for 18 weeks, and when he achieved an unprecedented 27 weeks at the top of the charts after Hey Joe! But he agreed to pay him $75 a week, and Laine went on to land a contract with Mercury records.

Not too shabby for a humble Sicilian kid, born to immigrant parents in the heart of Chicago’s Little Italy on March 30, 1913.

In 1985, Laine was temporarily laid low by quadruple bypass surgery. Frankie Laine deserves no less for his contributions to our lives. Wouldn’t it be nice if we could create a life size bronze  statue of Frankie Laine and have it placed on Shelter Island. His recording of “You Gave Me a Mountain,” a song written especially for Laine by his good friend, Marty Robbins, went gold in the early 1970’s, a time by which many of his contemporaries had long since quieted down. He was 93. Indeed, after a brief rest, his distinctive voice soon returned, as virile and powerful as ever. His autobiography, That Lucky Old Sun, was published in 1993.

In 1963 Frankie Laine left Columbia for Capitol Records, but his two years there produced only one album and a handful of singles. His last record, released shortly after the 9/11 terrorist attacks on America, was dedicated to New York City's firemen. He tallied 21 gold records and dozens of songs on the singles charts in the United States and abroad, selling roughly 250 million albums. He charted more than 70 records – 21 of them gold – and achieved worldwide sales of more than 250 million discs.

Berg asked. With a 1953 Warner Brother’s production, “Blowing Wild,” Laine started something different: he became the first and most successful of the singers to be identified with title songs. However, he had his greatest success after the Mercury impresario Mitch Miller began to exploit his talent for songs with a western or folk tinge. His style was thrillingly new to the audiences of the late 1940’s, based as it was on his deep love of jazz and the blues. We received one reply to our July news. My plan of attack will be: First I must communicate our idea to the City of San Diego, and The San Diego Port commission. How to survive nightmare before christmas: As Lockdown 2.0 threatens to sink the economy... here's our... Brussels sprouts are now Britain's favourite green vegetable. He also had hits as a duettist with Patti Page, Doris Day, Jimmy Boyd and Johnnie Ray. Later he founded his own label, Score Records, with which he continued to record into the 21st century. Vote count could last until FRIDAY when Pennsylvania stops accepting newly-arrived mail-in ballots with... 'Is this a free country if you're too scared to express your views?' Reader’s Digest released in May 1997 a 3-CD-boxed set of his music.

As if to compensate Frankie for the ills that w

In the 1950s, when Nat King Cole's television show was unable to get a sponsor, he became the first white artist to appear as a guest on the show, forgoing his usual fee and setting an example which other white performers then followed. This fad of the depression years was a tough way of keeping body and soul together, but Laine stuck with it and eventually he and a partner, Ruth Smith, met the all-time marathon dance record in Atlantic City, New Jersey. Born Francesco Paolo LoVecchio to immigrant parents in Chicago's Little Italy neighborhood in 1913, Laine began singing as a choir boy and performed at a local ballroom before leaving home as a teenager during the Great Depression to try his luck as a marathon dancer. His love of music led him to Chicago’s Merry Garden Ballroom, where friends frequently urged him up onto the bandstand to perform a number or two. 4 hit on the American charts in 1947.

"What for?" In the 1960s he took on guest-starring roles in series such as Rawhide, Burke's Law, and Perry Mason. The contributions to the various charities will come over a period of time. After switching to ABC Records in the late 1960s he reached the top of the charts again with I'll Take Care of Your Cares, which was followed by several more hits. Together they went on to establish Mercury as one of the most successful record labels of its time, with a string of hits including That Lucky Old Sun, Mule Train, On the Sunny Side of the Street, Dream a Little Dream of Me, Georgia on My Mind, and many others. Cleaned out!

In June 1999 Frankie married Marcia Ann Kline, a companion who worked in the Defense Industry in San Diego, almost within sight of Frankie’s hilltop house. They had two children from Mrs. Laine’s previous marriage, and three grandsons. His father began as a waterboy for the Chicago Railroad and later worked as the personal barber to Al Capone. The book was published in 1993 and met with great success. His popularity in Britain mystified The Daily Telegraph's then theatre critic WA Darlington who, having seen Laine at the Palladium, noted loftily: "Mr Laine is a very large man with a very large and rather raucous voice which he pours pitilessly down an amplifier. When Frankie decided to make his living with his voice instead of his feet, the road to success proved long and hard. Naturally gifted with a powerful voice (his nicknames included "Old Leather Lungs"), Laine was known for his dramatic vocal battles with massed choirs and pulsating strings, and he ranged into such varied genres as novelty pop, gospel, folk, country and western and rock and roll. Part of the Daily Mail, The Mail on Sunday & Metro Media Group. Ever since his recording of “That’s My Desire” burst onto the scene like a musical firework in 1947, praise poured in from all corners, from young and old alike, for this gifted and versatile artist. Frankie Laine married first, in 1950, the actress Nan Grey, whose two daughters he adopted. For myself, I spent most of his turn thinking nostalgically of the acrobats and the Tiller Girls.". In the 1960s he performed in a free concert for Martin Luther King's supporters during their march on Washington. Well, maybe Frankie should look at the prosperous married life of his son and get married himself before it's too late.

His rendition of the title song for Mel Brooks's spoof Western Blazing Saddles (1974) won an Oscar nomination for Best Song, and, on television, his recording of Rawhide for the series starring Clint Eastwood ("Rain and wind and weather/Hell-bent for leather/Wishin' my gal was by my side… ") became one of the most familiar and popular theme songs of the century.