This blade also comes with a brown, leather belt sheath and a hole on the back end of the handle to be hung as a lanyard. I 'tried' to eat a piece of backstrap off of a big javelina boar that my then BIL shot one time. It takes your body more energy to metabolize these two foods. Tender, full of flavor and free of that dreaded game taste, the axis deer has won the hearts of hunters from all over the world. With that said, though, let’s go a little deeper into each type of meat. That's why I will usually choose a doe or young buck over a virile buck with a larger rack, of course unless it's a real trophy. A yearling’s liver is best—they’re mild and pleasant tasting. Lesson learned: hot sauce in moderation. When you’re hunting for elk, you can be assured that the meat you will be getting is not gamey. Share Share Tweet Email. Moose is my personal favorite. Considering the type of habitat mountain sheep reside in, I naturally thought that the meat on these sheep would be dry and gamey, but after trying it out I was quickly proven wrong. I had an elk T-bone that was delicious, on a par with the best beef steaks. If you’re averse to the strong flavors of liver, a hot tip is that they don’t get better with age.

I have had a lot of people tell me ducks and geese are bad, but slow cook them with mushroom gravy, onions and peppers.....boy that is so good stuff.

Just like almost anything you can cook, like chicken, for example, if not done right, it will be hard and dry just like with your game meat. 4: Beaver That's right, beaver. Whether you want to bake it, deep fry it, or cook it on the stove, quail has been said to taste amazing with any cooking method and will go over well with even the most stubborn eaters. If you want to cut your meat on a clean surface, then I recommend checking this tarp out here. I don’t necessarily like think that I had a favorite considering that I have many game meats that I love, but if someone asked me to choose, I think the axis deer would take the cake. Not to be deterred, I got a skillet hot over the stove and poured in a beer. eval(ez_write_tag([[336,280],'archerydynasty_com-large-mobile-banner-1','ezslot_6',117,'0','0'])); If you enjoy meat that is lean and slightly gamey, then rabbit meat is for you. When we asked the Outifitter (and his wife and son) what their favorite game meat was, they all said Zebra. My PH said that most of his clients seem to prefer springbuck. Bou'bound 07-Mar-19. This is typically because, with older deer, the game is usually tougher than that of a younger deer and I don’t know too many who love their meat to be too gamey. Any diving duck rates a close second on bad also. Sorry, but the kitchen knife won’t do it. Anyway, I tried roasting it in Garlic butter. Some threads I read for information. girls do you. Thank you all for the generous replies, much appreciated! No. North America's largest rodent made this list, not only because their flesh tastes like pot-roasted beef, but also because the meat of so many of them gets wasted every year because few know how to handle this animal as table fare. I give tips and pointers on how to control what we hunters call ” buck fever ” if you’re not already familiar with the term. A good cook can make tenderloin of skunk taste pretty good, though I've never sampled it. Many products featured on this site were editorially chosen. I have yet to experience this, but some say that rutty caribou tastes pretty bad, and I guess this would be because of a few factors, but depending on what state you live in or what the caribou has been eating or fed, the taste can differ immensely. Compared to having a taste similar to the bobwhite quail, this bird is delicious. It was basically inedible, but I mixed it in with a can of stew the next morning and was able to choke down the rest. Not really, but it will be tough to chew. And if you’re like me and get a little jittery when it comes to taking these guys down, then I recommend checking this article out here that I wrote. Some good, some bad. But when you do decide to go after one, you will definitely not be disappointed with the taste. Ucsdryder 07-Mar-19. For some hunters, caribou is at the top of the list for best big game meat they’ve ever tried in their life, but for some, they say it was the worst tasting thing they could have ever come across. I've had some meat from a big old boar black bear that a friend shot...truly rank and nasty... it isn't all bear meat though - I've had bear hams that were wonderful.

I personally love eating this duck, but when I searched to see how other hunters felt about it, I got a bunch of mixed answers. But how often, and is it even legal? Sliced and breaded they aren't terrible. If you’re interested in trying one for yourself, then hunt in areas around meadows, mountain slopes, and foothills. Comment. Its flavor is not as strong as the duck, but when asked to explain what the quail tastes like, many hunters have often described them as having a duck taste more than anything.eval(ez_write_tag([[336,280],'archerydynasty_com-box-4','ezslot_22',110,'0','0'])); The meat is very tender and will go well without about any meal side you can think of. Plains Game Species Selection for a First Timer, https://collection.verney-carron.com/en.html, https://ss.globalrescue.com/partner/africahunting/, Winchester 70 416 Rem Gets A New McMillan Stock (The Effects Of LOP On Recoil), Friendly Forward: Browning Abolt 375HH With Leupold At Cabelas Used Guns $650, Buffalo Hunting Deal With Tsala Hunting Safaris. I like Elmer Keith; I married his daughter.

Appreciate your info and feedback, I looked at some European websites to try and get info on the value of this particular Steyr. The old, intimidating industrial... Our picks for the week’s best hunting, fishing, wild foods, and conservation content. Any diving duck rates a close second on … Low in fat, cholesterol and high in protein makes them a prized kill for hunters and is a highly recommended game animal because of this. Big bucks, land management, rut reports, and tips for the whitetail obsessed. Their meat is packed with flavor and also with nutritional value as well.

Compared to having a taste similar to the bobwhite quail, this bird is delicious. If you want to get the most out of your deer eating experience, then the best tasting and less gamey ones you should probably go for would be with the younger bucks. Had soybeans in its crop, but tasted like swamp. Teas, especially the herbal ones, are better for you than coffee or any strong alcoholic beverage such as Gin. All Rights Reserved. How to Hunt Whitetail Buck Rubs During the Rut, How to Hunt Whitetail Deer During the Rut’s Chasing Phase. Mule deer can provide some of the tastiest game meat out there, but how you care for it and how and what the deer ate will almost always be the deciding factor on whether your game will be good to eat or not. If bagged, prepared, and cooked properly, this could very well be a meal that the whole family will be asking for more often. Contributors to this thread: Ucsdryder 07-Mar-19. Finally, meat and, again, Lamb is very nutritious and good tasting--I "love" a NY Strip Steak bbqued. Haven't tried baboon or monkey......too close to home. Best I've had is Elk followed by the Blacktail deer I harvest and butcher myself.

Impala, Wildebeeste, Hartebeest, Eland, it was all great.

Seems like an obvious solution, but it will make a difference that will be hard to miss. Caza y Safaris Argentina wrote on sanderson0203's profile. Ostrich was surprising , more life beef then a bird . I liked the Blesbuck the best. ArcheryDynasty.com is compensated for referring traffic and business to these companies. My wife (non-hunter) and daughter (first time hunter) went to Namibia with me last year, we ate game meat every night.

Gimme a sow anyday.

Best tasting: kudu (while in South Africa). One … From the rolling hills to the deep brush country, Texas has a suitable region for all exotic species to thrive. After cleaning, some hunters like to wrap their meat in bacon and others like to fry it up on the grill, but after cutting all the fat out, aka the most gamy part of the deer, you will find that what’s left to eat is pretty lean and will usually require you to add something else to your meal to give your body what it needs for nourishment and satisfaction. Yeah, sometimes if a buck is shot during rut and all his harmonial juices are flowing in his blood, he'll taste more like an old boar hog than a deer. Sometimes it can be hard getting one with the other, but with the elk, it is possible. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons! E. Echols. The worst, though I haven't tried ****, has got to be spoonies (Greater Northern Shoveler). – For all of your field dressing needs, scroll down to the bottom for the recommendations that I use when skinning my animals. I managed to chew it a little, but that was as far as I could get. Edited by: FIATVOLUNTASTUA at: 5/22/2009 (00:49). I think as long as the cook knows how to cook, any wild game is terrific to eat. Sometimes it can be hard getting one with the other, but with the elk, it is possible. Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester". But if you were to ask most hunters what a deer tastes like, the general answer would be that they either taste rich, earthy, or both. When our governing officials dismiss due process as mere semantics, when they exercise powers they don’t have and ignore duties they actually bear, and when we let them get away with it, we have ceased to be our own rulers. We plan on eventually consuming this meat, so in order to keep it as clean as possible before hanging it up, we’ll want to dress our game on a large tarp in order to avoid exposing our meat to feces, blood, and dirt. It just got better and better each night and my wife and daughter usually turn their nose up to game meat (won't eat deer, might eat elk sometimes, etc). After many years of practice and gaining knowledge through him, I’m here to show others what I know so that you too can become a skilled archer. durability, and will do a great job at skinning your game without tugging and a ton of force. What's the best and worst African tasting game meat? It had knots all in the meat and it was strong enough to walk dead. The worst was a doe that I shot in northern Wisconsin that was one of the gamiest tasting pieces of meat that I'd ever eaten and the best was the yearlings that I shot in south central Alabama. March 26, 2015 I'd shot lots of deer in the agrcultural area's of southern Wisconsin that tasted fine but there is very little agriculture in the northern part of the state and the taste of the deer reflects it. P.S. Field & Stream may receive financial compensation for products purchased through this site. Some have said that certain species within the antelope family can have a sweet and nutty taste. Best game I have had = Guinea hens, free range Chickens, Goats, hogs..... "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Notice I said 'tried'? my wife can make a prime rib roast that would turn you off beef of any kind, so have to agree its the cook more than the meat, but wild meat also needs to have the care and prep it deserves. :vomit:I shot a spike elk one year and that was DELICIOUS!